Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Hyperion 5mm - rattle?

RobSay

Evening - just got in from a short evening session, mostly lower power stuff (12" Dob) as conditions limited seeing.

Having played with the 36-16mm range I took the opportunity to check a 5mm Hyperion I picked up in the summer. Optics looked OK and it's working as expected (based on conditions). Everything seems fine .. except that there's rattle in the main body of the EP which I'm fairly sure shouldn't be there!

Can anyone with a 5mm (or other) confirm that they don't rattle?

Has anyone had a similar thing?

Any had experience of maintenance on these or got suggestions for cause?

:D

thanks

Rob

It might be worth checking... (Outer) Lens elements have retaining rings that can be accessed via e.g. "watchmakers screwdrivers". If you feel confident (that is a must!) just push gently into the "slot" in appropriate direction? I'm not convinced lens elements need to be loose. Frankly, I prefer my eyepieces NOT to rattle. :D

We had several Hyperions including the 5mm and I don't remember any of them rattling.

The one thing I do have that rattles is my Baader NeoDymium filter, though apparently you can tighten that up with a toothpick if you are careful.

It might be worth checking... (Outer) Lens elements have retaining rings that can be accessed via e.g. "watchmakers screwdrivers". If you feel confident (that is a must!) just push gently into the "slot" in appropriate direction? I'm not convinced lens elements need to be loose. Frankly, I prefer my eyepieces NOT to rattle. :)

I have done this with a Burgess planetary, very gently and just enough to hold the lense firmly.

Hyperions are a different matter.

I've had a good look behind the bottom lenses and under the top rubber covers and no retaining rings are apparent. It seems like the lens elements are held in place by the various threaded barrel sections. Assembled with locktite in the factory I believe :D

Strange?

My 13mm doesn't rattle?

If it is by design surely some "gap filling" material would be used? i.e. some fine foam round the edge.

Rattle suggests noise which suggests glass hitting metal :D

Can't believe that would be ok.

I can understand movement but not things "hitting" each other ?

Let us know if you get to the bottom of it and hope there's no damage.

Neil

The rattle was definitely more than expansion space. The sound of metal on glass offended my mechanical sensibilities :D

It might be worth checking... (Outer) Lens elements have retaining rings that can be accessed via e.g. "watchmakers screwdrivers". If you feel confident (that is a must!) just push gently into the "slot" in appropriate direction? I'm not convinced lens elements need to be loose. Frankly, I prefer my eyepieces NOT to rattle. :)

Bingo! A slow and careful examination of the disassembled EP shows the first element in the upper body moving slightly. The retaining ring is easily tightened and once reassembled the rattle is gone.

Now the interesting thing is that if I undo the EP body once again the retaining ring is loosened at the same time(!) and the rattle returns. so the lower body is binding on the retaining ring a little. Incidentally the EP unscrewed easily at the middle joint (Where the branding is) and no evidence of glue as per documentation - don't know if the previous owner had already been in.

My understanding is that the 2" filter insertion point is at the lower separation point (where the 1.25" barrel joins the 2" body) so theoretically one shouldn't need to go in to the main body at all.

Thanks for all the responses - v. helpful.

Rob

As GazOC. My (almost) full set dosen't rattle.

In fact I can't remember having ANY eyepiece that rattled by design.

Interesting advice to faulksy from RVO, to say the least.

should of said my 21mm doesnt rattle but when i ordered from rvo adam told me most do its a design feature?

Archived