to be removed from the setup and replaced by a eqdir adapter or

similar.

Thankyou BigBlueOne.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou Guys,

So the unit Im looking at is at FLO, linking the unit into your system

one end of that unit would connect to the mount the other lead I call it a printer lead that connects to the other end of the eqdir

would connect to my notebook via usb.

Have I got it right, plus what is the benefit of keeping the handset.

Thankyou once again BigBlueOne.

i just purchased a eqmod system for my heq5 pro, simply unplug the handset, plug in the eqmod to mount, other end usb into laptop, firstly downloading the eqmod software, i`m not technically minded but i managed to get it running using stellarium although if you use stellarium you have to download stellarium scope as well, then start stellarium scope connect to mount and it starts stellarium and the eqmod software, i`m going to keep the handset just in case i take the gear out to meets and don`t want to use a laptop.

you can also as mentioned above just plug in the firmwire update cable to the bottom of the handset and use it that way. i did this just using stellarium, i just started the mount handset first going through the routine and the firing up stellarium using another com port, worked well also.

Hi Red dwalf,

Like you its a road I would like to down but Im a bit anxious

the software looks the dogs "~~~" but Im always put off

because of the lack of technical ability.

Im kinda scared that I,ll get the bits and be totally lost once

I,ve connected everything up.

BigBlueOne.

The software setup in not ENTIRELY trivial - But nor is it prohibitively difficult. There is a LOT of help here, if needed. The EQMod documentation is (with a modicum of application) very good! Pleasingly, it is STABLE (hardware-wise) once you get it all going. [iMO] a good £40-50 investment? The ability to use "Planetarium" software (and more!), on a Netbook even, is attractive... :)

The software setup in not ENTIRELY trivial - But nor is it prohibitively difficult. There is a LOT of help here, if needed. The EQMod documentation is (with a modicum of application) very good! Pleasingly, it is STABLE (hardware-wise) once you get it all going. [iMO] a good £40-50 investment? The ability to use "Planetarium" software (and more!), on a Netbook even, is attractive... :)

I would say £40 to £50 very expensive when you consider you are buying one of these £9 cables with a different connector on the end:

FTDI USB to TTL Serial Cable + Shield (7 Way)

Though, if you do not have the ability/tools to change the connector then I guess you have to pay the higher price.

Cheers,

Chris

It's not mandatory to use EQMOD to get the benefits of planetarium GOTO control....just connect the handcontroller with the "upgrade" cable which came with it, fire up your planetarium program (Cartes du Ciel etc) select telescope mount "Celestron", under properties select "Skywatcher EQ" and that's it!!!

(EQMOD is a great program and certainly has the capability of doing much more than the "basic" Synscan controller - but it's another installation....)

I must say that the downloaded software took some finding, eqmod ok then ascom platform then eqdirect, it all worked well in the end but took me a few hours to get the hang of, then had to download stellarium scope, haven't had the chance to try it fully while stargazing but it does give the ability to use gps dongles and so on for more accurate aligning.

Oi, Cheeky! <Laughing exceedingly> :)

I'm sorry if that came across that I was having a dig at somebody, that was not the intention. My point was that not everybody has access to soldering tools or the knowledge to use use them, and these people would have to buy the ready made cable complete with astro price tag.

Chris

I would say £40 to £50 very expensive when you consider you are buying one of these £9 cables with a different connector on the end:

FTDI USB to TTL Serial Cable + Shield (7 Way)

Though, if you do not have the ability/tools to change the connector then I guess you have to pay the higher price.

Cheers,

Chris

I personally wouldn't say £40-50 is outrageously expensive - I somehow doubt those making them will retire on the back of EQDIR sales :). Its an open market and given that is the price range that most suppliers of EQDirect cables have settled upon I assume that is what folks are prepared to pay for the peace of mind in getting a tested reliable device that won't damage your mount.

From day one we've promoted building your own adapters via the EQMOD web site and it is trivial for anyone with basic soldering, or even just splicing, skills. We've also taken care to point out the alternative options (synscan PC-Direct) for PC based mount contorl such as using the celestron ascom drivers or nexstar interfaces.

I sincerely hope that no one buys an EQDirect interface out of ignorance of the alternatives.

Chris.

What people don't realize is that for any commercial electronics product to be legally sold in the EU it should be CE marked, which cost a considerable amount of money, so yes whilst is simple enough for most people to splice together a Cat5 cable and TTL serial lead to do a DIY option, there is also a need for a commercial option for those who simply want a plug and play device, and at £50 I think that's a fair price.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived