Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

six new messier on my list.

rory

tues 18th oct

very happy last night. i found the following objects with my 90mm refractor ,(no finder scope at all) use binoclulars10x50's.

x31,x50x100 e/p's.

moderate light pollution,but quite crisp evening and transparency was ok.

m29 (o/c) only pick out six main stars,formed like a square with antenae on top. quite faint.

m71 (g/c) very faint only at lowest power could i make it out.

m56- (g/c) very difficult,averted vision at all times,used stellarium to confirm .faintest object so far id say.

m27 (dumbell) couldnt quite believe id found this. never expected to be able to see it,but hey ,very happy. light grey in colour and with averted vision could make out the apple core shape.

m15-(g/c) probably highlight of the night, got a wow factor from this one,nice bright core. even used higher mags on it.

m2-(g/c) same sort of size to m15 ,again was quite a bright central area,but not as nice to view as m15.

failed attempts at the m33 and uranus.but all in all a good night.

messier list up to 16 now ..

Well done Rory! Some lovely objects observed there. :)

I'm a bit of a Glob fan too...can't beat a good Glob!!

I'm with you on M33....have been looking for this for weeks! I 'know' I'm in exactly the right place...but not a dickie-bird!!! Thought I saw a very faint 'lightness' in the area once, but i was probably imagining it...as you do!!!:evil6:

Great report!!:)

Cheers,

Vicky.

hey thanks all for feedback. michael ive seen the wild duck cluster ,but it was on a poor night so no real detail at all. actually i was looking at stellarium for guidance for m11. looking at altair to starhop i noticed m71 wasnt far away. forgot to go back for m11 this time !

clear skies...

Vicky

M33 is a tricky little blighter.

Often your best bet is with bins, specially if you have any LP.

It is huge, and very faint you are looking for a slight brightening in the sky background.

Good hunting and clear skies

Regards Steve

Always satisfying when you spot new objects. M56 - one of the dimmer globs on Mr Messier's list, nice. Only bagged that one myself two or three weeks back.

As for M33 - I have tried and tried. I'm sure I am looking in the right place (diamond of 8 to 9 mag stars surround it?)

I'd have thought a 5" refractor with just 16 magnification would be enough but I still haven't cracked it.

Happy hunting!

Archived