Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5-Pro LED

oshb5

Hi All

I thought while I was sorting out the gear backlash and re-lubing them I thought I would do Astro_Babys LED upgrade However Iv since found out the LED is already very dim. In this case it must be one of the later mounts as the powers that be apparently had complaints about the LED brightness and subsequently added a resistor in circuit to lower it on the later mounts. Which is good that I have a later mount but bad that I wanted t do the variable brightness mod. Has anyone managed to do this mod on one of the later mounts please ?

Regs Andy

Hi

As im new to the HEQ mounts as this is my first one. Im used to the CG5 And Goto with a Ioptron system. that all said can i get the following right. In the first instance the HEQ5 was made with brite LED Next they added a resistor to dim the LED then in the next HEQ5 they made the LED variable from the handset is this correct? If so How can you find out which is which without turning the mount on and looking up the polar scope. Is there a difference between the handsets or is it just later firmware?

Regs Andy

Hi Andy.

If the situation with the (H)EQ5 is anything like the (N)EQ6 (and it may not be), you'll need a version 2.x (currently 2.04.00) internal control board, and a version 3 handset with version 3.21 or later firmware installed. (The latest firmware version is 3.27 IIRC.)

With all of those things there will be a menu item for controlling the brightness of the PAS LED, but, if any of those are absent, you will not have that function available.

Just to repeat that those are the requirements of the (N)EQ6 and may differ from the (H)EQ5.

Karlo if you use EQMOD then that can be utilised to determine the MCB version.

I've cut and pasted the relevant bit from the FAQ below;

How do I determine the board version in my mount?

Once EQMOD has been connected to the mount click the [Display +] button located just below the ASCOM logo. The message centre will appear. Clicking the [Display +] button repeatedly cycles through several displays but you want the message centre for the version information.

The information displayed may be something like

EQ Modded Mount found at COM1: 9600

Mount Version : 000601 DLL Version: 000204

The mount version is displayed in reversed order. In the above example the mount version is 1.06.00

Karlo if you use EQMOD then that can be utilised to determine the MCB version.

Also, it can be displayed via the HC. Under the "utility" menu, IIRC, but no doubt someone (Spikey?) with their mount and HC handy can tell you exactly where to find it.

Yes iv looked in my handset but there is no utility for it on there so looks like i will have to wait till the 670k pot that Astro-Baby suggests on her polar scope project comes then it will be just a matter of finding the resistor on the MCB and replacing it with two wires from the 470k pot.. Has anyone done thhis mod or sean the related resistor on the MCB?

Oh yes the info from my mount is as follows

HC Hardware ver 3.04

Motor Controler ver 01,08.01

H C Firmware ver 3.23

Database ver 3.25

Regs Andy

Motor Controler ver 01,08.01

Regs Andy

Therein lies the problem.

Does anyone know the price of a new MCB in the UK? Because the v1.x MCBs are not upgradeable via firemware flashing, I replaced all my old v1.06 boards with new ones (v2.04.x), and each cost around NZ$156 (~GBP60). But at least now I have spares...

:D

Mine is the White HEQ5-Pro and must have the resistor on so I need to find it If you still have your old board then I would love it to have a look at and see if that has the resistor or was one of the first ones.. Regs Andy..

Archived