Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan Worm Wheel Setting

Fellside

Hi

It my first post here. I hope someone can help with a few question I have.

Is it possible to set the Synscan v3 to use different Worm Gears sizes?

I am looking into fitting the new EQ5 upgrade kit to a Vixen GP GX/D2. I have been told the kit will fit the mount.

The Vixen has a 144 Worm wheel.

Does anyone know what the EQ5 worm wheel size is.

Many thanks

Graham

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham, welcome to the forum.

A great question, one i was going to post myself. I'm looking to add EQ5 Synscan to my GP.

I spoke to a dealer yesterday about this very thing but he was unsure too. One thing to note, both Orion Optics and Ian King sell the Vixen GP/E/DX with a choice of either the EQ5 dual drive kit or the Vixen MT1 drive kit. Which sort of indicates they are interchangeable without modification or changing of the gear ratio.

I think it maybe worth a chat with Ian King.

btw I think this thread may get moved to Reviews to the Equipment section.

Regards

Russ

Graham, I sent an email to Ian King and asked for his advice. He's not sure whether the EQ5 Synscan will work with GP straight out of the box. But he did recommend taking a look at this offering from Vixen:

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=99

image.jpg

Again, according to the blurb, the kit will fit straight onto an EQ5 as well, which to me means the Synscan unit will straight fit the GP too.

Regards

Russ

There seems to be quite an interest in this subject - I had three enquiries yesterday asking the same question.

Compared to Vixen, Skywatcher's EQ5 GOTO upgrade kit is cheap so would be attractive to owners of Vixen mounts .... if it is compatible.

Compared to Vixen, Skywatcher's EQ5 GOTO upgrade kit is cheap so would be attractive to owners of Vixen mounts .... if it is compatible.

I'd be very surprised if they arn't compatible.

Steve rushes off to add it to FLO's website 8)

I didn't want to say for sure but Gaz has just reinforced what I was thinking. Everything on the two mounts is interchangeable. Just the Vixen stuff engineered to a higher standard.

Steve, I will definitely be in the market for the Synscan upgrade by approx September/October time.

Russ

Now available at FLO :D

SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

Here's the spec:

Hardware Features:

· SynScan V.3 Firmware Updateable Hand Control: New features include ongoing firmware updateability via the internet, Pointing Accuracy Enhancement (PAE), and capability to store star alignment data. Also can accept new GPS mouse attachment.

· High precision stepper motors

· Motor Controller: Micro-step driving with auto-power saving feature

· Resolution: 0.288 arc second

· Slew Rate: 0.5x, 1x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 400x, 500x, 600x, 800x

· Tracking Rate: Sidereal, Lunar, Solar

· Tracking Mode: R.A. tracking

· ST-4 type Autoguider Interface: Support 0.25x, 0.5x, 0.75x 1x guiding rate

· Maximum Payload Capacity: Approx 9kg

· Power requirement: 11 to 15 V DC 2 Amp Tip positive (Power supply not included)

Software Features:

· Alignment Method: One-Star Alignment, Two-Star Alignment, Three-Star Alignment

· Pointing Accuracy: Up to 1 arc min

· Object Catalogues: Messier, IC, NGC, Caldwell

· 13740 Object Database: Including Planets, Named Stars, Double Stars, Variable Stars & User-Defined Objects

· Backlash compensation

· Periodic Error Correction

· Premium PC Interface: ASCOM compatible, Nexstar-5i compatible protocol and command set

· User-tuneable LCD contrast, LED backlight and buzzer volume

There seems to be quite an interest in this subject - I had three enquiries yesterday asking the same question.

Hi I was one of the three :D

First thanks for all the replies. I was not expecting quite such a fast response.

Vixen GP GX/D2 mount has a 144 tooth gear so that is the same.

I found the instructions for the Synscan controller but could see no section in the Menu tree relating to setting up for different gear wheels. This was v3.00 it may have been added to later versions.

Meade Autostar has quite a bit in there Menu tree relating to Telescope and mount setup

I have been waiting to see what Vixen would come up with as there has been a rumoured Starbook setup for the DX coming for a while. That`s the setup (Smaller black and white screen) in the picture from Ian king. From what I have read there have been a lot of very stressed Starbook/Sphinx users out there. Waiting for problems to be resolved in the Software. PEC, Autoguiding, Backlash have now eventually been added but a lot of things are not working correctly or are just not included. I don't need that sort of stress.

I have decided to look elsewhere. Synscan seems to do everything I want and has active support. The EQMOD project looks really great as well.

Synscan is cheaper which is a bonus. The main thing is as I said it does what I want now not some time in the future.

I`m sure if one of the dealers can say definitely that the EQ5 kit fit`s the Vixen mounts there will be a lot of happy customers at there door, Steve? :D

Many thanks again

Graham

Like you, I am 90% sure that it will be compatible but I am still waiting on a confirmation from the importers.

Will post here as soon as I know :D

Just a thought: Are there any Vixen User Groups out there? They might know.

Like you, I am 90% sure that it will be compatible but I am still waiting on a confirmation from the importers.

Will post here as soon as I know :D

Just a thought: Are there any Vixen User Groups out there? They might know.

Looking forward to hearing.

Might get into trouble talking about Synscan in Vixen group :p I`ll ask in the Orion Optics group :D

Graham

Got a reply to my message on the Vixen Yahoo Group:

Yes, since the CG-5/EQ-4 is a Chinese clone of the GP,

most all motor systems will fit and have the correct

motor gear ratio. A small amount of fiddling to get

the motor mount lined up correctly will be in order,

just like when you use the Chinese motors on a Chinese

mount.

Regards

Archived