SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What on earth is this?

Stephen

My mates just got back from purchasing a CG5 - wish I had gone with him as I'm not quite sure what he has come back with :)

Website doesn't exist, and Google has very little.

Does anyone have any idea on the company, or the mount? Is it a CG5?

post-23057-133877675174_thumb.jpg

post-23057-133877675181_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Stephen

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't find anything on Nova Astro Solutions but it does look like a CG5 clone of some sort :)

Cloning a clone, got to be the first time I heard of that :)

It does seem to share a lot (not all) of characteristics with a CG5 regarding most panel, cap and clutch locations.

It looks like mostly EQ5 / CG5 to me. The polar scope looks non-standard. That plastic cap with the "Made in Britain" sticker might be from something else and just covering up where a standard black plastic cap is missing.

Nova Astro Solutions was a name that me and a mate played with when we were making large telescope mounts. The sticker shown was used on the mounts we made.

The mount shown here looks to be a Chinese copy of the EQ5 - somrthing like the ones imported by "sky's the limit".

We did not make this mount - only the sticker - someone else put it on this mount.

Nova Astro Solutions was a name that me and a mate played with when we were making large telescope mounts. The sticker shown was used on the mounts we made.

The mount shown here looks to be a Chinese copy of the EQ5 - somrthing like the ones imported by "sky's the limit".

We did not make this mount - only the sticker - someone else put it on this mount.

Wow, the reach of this forum is awesome!!...whats the cahances of that...you must have took a double take Saturn!! :)

Have you tried using it yet???...whats your opinion of it???

Not as yet, going round in the week to help him set up.

CG5 is an EQ4 is it not ?

That looks kind of like my old EQ3,but with a few differances,

(or maybe Im wrong too :D )

JJ..

I believe CG5 = EQ5, CG4 = EQ3/2.

Is there an officially labelled EQ4? Thought that number was skipped out :)

Wow thanks :happy1:

Wow, the reach of this forum is awesome!!...whats the cahances of that...you must have took a double take Saturn!! :)

Absolutely!

LOL it was a surprise - yes this is a powerful forum - if anyone is passing on dodgy stuff then watch out you will be found out

Looks a decent deal for £70 to me. It's either a genuine EQ5 or GC5, not another clone like the Bresser Mon1 or the ones that Scope's N Skies sell, in my opinion.

There was no Skywatcher EQ4 as far as I know - the range jumps from EQ3-2 to EQ5. Don't know why though.

LOL it was a surprise - yes this is a powerful forum - if anyone is passing on dodgy stuff then watch out you will be found out

I wasn't implying the sale was dodgy, just asking for help identifying it :)

Where did he get it from if you don't mind me asking ?

EDIT: Never mind found it U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell The pictures in the listing would have had me asking questions from the off.

As above, I just wanted to try and find some information on it. The seller did state in person that he wasn't 100% sure on what it was which is why this is not a rant thread - it's a working out what it is thread :)

Looks a decent deal for £70 to me. It's either a genuine EQ5 or GC5, not another clone like the Bresser Mon1 or the ones that Scope's N Skies sell, in my opinion.

There was no Skywatcher EQ4 as far as I know - the range jumps from EQ3-2 to EQ5. Don't know why though.

Barring looking at it in person, seems decent enough to me :happy1: Just need to sort out a CW (I'm sure he said there wasn't one with it) , check out what's going on with the polar scope then get some motors. (Looking at johninderby's DK3 motors, but lack of handset means my mate needs to get crafty with a soldering iron - out of my league!)

He's not had a bad day all in all, he also picked up a (what looks like) an unused 150P (black trim) for not much too in a different sale :D I'll try and get him posting on here!

Barring looking at it in person, seems decent enough to me :) check out what's going on with the polar scope

I agree. If the seller was forward pointing out he wasn't 100% sure of it's make, clone or not £70 with a stainless steel tripod you can't grumble.

Although I'm inclined to think this will not accept the new Sky-watcher polar scopes with out some form of modification. I'd recommend your friend look after the one fitted just in case.

When I went for an EQ mount I ordered the (as advertised) EQ4

I didn't realise until after Id striped it (to remove the grease) that it wasn't an EQ4 but maybe the EQ3#

ender-of-days-albums-old-eq-mount-picture9381-mount-my-home-made-pillar.jpg

I mentioned the error to the seller (Alan at skies the limit) and he said "don't worry they are all the same whether EQ3 or EQ6" :)

:):happy1:

EDIT: I hope Im not hijacking the thread with the above)

JJ..

Hi everyone,

I'm the one that bought the mount.

Just to confirm there is no suggestion of anything dodgy or wrong doing by the seller. We just wanted more information on the mount as neither of us had seen the Nova sticker anywhere before.

It all seems very solid and i'm quite happy with todays purchases. Just need some help and clear sky so we can get it all setup and test.

Jonathan

Archived