Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need an observers guide to the moon ...

rawhead

Have you looked at Virtual Moon Atlas - it was a free download when I last looked. You can flip the view E-W and or N-S.

Mike

Thanks Mike :) Now downloading...

Would still be nice to have a book I could use while observing.

I'm afraid I've regarded the Moon as "the enemy" for too long so the VMA was good enough for me.

However on the basis of "if you can't beat them ..... " I bought "Moonwalk with Your Eyes" by Tammy Plotner at the last Astrofest. Its unused at present but I like the look of it - it is set out with one chapter per lunar day.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Try here Lunar Field Atlas. The book of images is available in various orientations to suit different telescopes.

Aaargh!! - Oh no!! - Yet another resource that doesn't understand that "Inverted Image" (i.e. Newtonian image) should be merely be a 180 degree rotation of "Correct Image" and not a mirror-flip around the horizontal axis. As a result, there's no usable atlas for Newtonians, and the so-called "Inverted Image" atlas is of no use to anyone - well - unless you want to rotate an SCT diagonal 90 degrees to peer into the scope sideways.

Such a shame! The incorrectly-prepared "Inverted Image" atlas probably took a lot of effort to prepare, and it would otherwise be a great piece of work! :)

Maybe if it's been authored in an object-oriented publishing program, a corrected version could be output? I've contacted the author about this today...

Archived