Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Goto control

Whilst I wait for Flo to sort my brand new and faulty go to scope I thought I would see if I can get some questions answered.

1. The controller connects via rj11 to rj45 on the scope. Is there and software that can just connect straight to the scope and negate the need for the handset? It would mean I could control the scope when imaging from the sofa with ease by having the telescope patched in to my mini cooms cabinet and just running an extra cable for the hard wired connection to the laptop. The ability to stick it on my network wouldbe even better.

2. Why oh why oh why are we still having to use rs232 when USB is around 15 years old in the mainstream market?

Yes, you can use a EQDIR module direct from the computer to the mount and then use EQMOD to control.

An alternative is to use the serial upgrade cable (should come with the mount) to connect the handcontroller to the PC.

You can then use Cartes du Ciel etc to control the GOTO etc.

I am going to be playing with eqmod I think, the whole reason I to the go to was for laptop hookup. After all I have the celestron for going manual and if I am going to automate things then it gives me chance to use my real world skills to make one of my hobbies a bit simpler (if more gadget based)

Nice idea about using the controller but if you look at my other thread on goto you will see that the handset is likely the faulty bit in this equation. I figure that if it is sunday and no past options tomorrow then I can get it up and running direct and prove 100% that it is the controller.

RS232 is not really cheaper than usb anymore btw although i think there might be a license involved and would still be subject to the same drive and os issues. I am looking for direct ethernet control as it will negate the need for drivers as it is just software emulating the handset sending electrical pulses through wire. Get the signal right and the function happens. No third party nonsense doing the translation

Not sure I understand your logic....

I have been successfully controlling both my HEQ5pro and NEQ6pro with the serial (Keyspan adaptor) to the handcontroller (V3.27)

It does verything you need....

What "License" is involved...everything is legit freeware???

usb is registered so it might explain why most scopes come with rs232 as a license fee for using them might apply. (the point I was making).

USB to serial adapters require drivers to work. This means that as operating systems get released that the driver support drops off.

A stand alone application that communicates via the ethernet port would never suffer from driver issues as long as there are ethernet ports. As the current configuration of port is adequate for both ipv6 and terabit networks that is a tech that is going to still be with us for at least another decade.

My new telescope appears to have come with a faulty handset so controlling with it or a computer is out of the window until it is sorted (reference to other thread). Also - if you can connect direct tot he mount from the pc with one cable why would you want to connect to s usb to serial adapter (unless you are rocking an old system or extra card which is pointless for portability so laptop is the way to go), the adapter to the rs232 lead that copies with the scope and connects to the rj11 socket in the handset, The handset to the mount via an rj11 to rj45 in the mount.

A lot of leads that require usb extenders or new rj11 headed leads to extend more than 5 meters.

Direct ethernet will allow me to park the scope 30 meters away if I want to and control it direct with no other links to fail (and draw power)

If you're an apple man try Sky fi, not tried it myself, but from what i've read should allow you to control the scope from the comfort of your own iPod

Sky wire is the wired version....depending on the length of the wire, and sofa to scope distance it may allow the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived