NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Home Buyers Looking For Darkness

laser_jock99

Homebuyers are looking for splendid isolation and a pristine view of a star-filled sky

Homebuyers are looking for splendid isolation and a pristine view of a star-filled sky - Property, House & Home - The Independent

"Those locations with the "purest" night-time darkness, according to the CPRE's dark sky maps, are Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantock Hills in the South West; Salisbury Plain and the top of the Chilterns in Southern England: parts of Lincolnshire to the east; the Black Mountains and the Brecons in Wales; the Yorkshire moors and some of Northumberland; plus large swathes of Scotland, outside major cities and the Borders. However, those areas were all (perhaps by definition) among the least populated in the country."

No mention for Mid/North Wales then.....?

We're in the process of moving house and I drove my wife mad (and several estate agents and home sellers) mad with my demand for a house with no street lights outside...:) My wife put her foot down and vetoed moving to Exmoor though :)

North Wales should be in there probably at the expense of the Quantocks but no doubt there's lots of areas that the CPRE have missed...

James

We moved 2 years ago from the middle of Walsall in the west midlands (complete with it's own laser show across the sky every night from the roof of one of the town centre's night clubs:eek:) to just outside a small village in worcestershire.

Nearest street light now about 1/2 a mile away and no laser show:)

It was a bit of struggle to convince my other half that you don't need a street light outside the front door but she now loves being able to see the milky way of a night from the back garden.

I am now currently building an observatory in the garden and some of the neighbours have asked if they can come round for a look through the scope when it's finished.

I think we were just lucky finding this place although it needs a lot of work, and I know If we have to move again it's going to be very difficult to find anywhere without loads of light pollution.

Ron

Homebuyers are looking for splendid isolation and a pristine view of a star-filled sky

Homebuyers are looking for splendid isolation and a pristine view of a star-filled sky - Property, House & Home - The Independent

"Those locations with the "purest" night-time darkness, according to the CPRE's dark sky maps, are Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantock Hills in the South West; Salisbury Plain and the top of the Chilterns in Southern England: parts of Lincolnshire to the east; the Black Mountains and the Brecons in Wales; the Yorkshire moors and some of Northumberland; plus large swathes of Scotland, outside major cities and the Borders. However, those areas were all (perhaps by definition) among the least populated in the country."

No mention for Mid/North Wales then.....?

Could it be that the "England" bit in "Campaign to Protection Rural England" CPRE, means they wouldn't comment on Wales? :)

Could it be that the "England" bit in "Campaign to Protection Rural England" CPRE, means they wouldn't comment on Wales? :)

They seemed to mention other areas like Galloway, Brecon & Sark. I'm okay with that though- Mid Wales is one the UK's best kept 'scenic secrets'. The vast wilderness of the Cambrian Mountains is very undeveloped (although the windfarm profiteers have a very greedy eye on it (well the subsidies at least)).

Archived