17 Hrs with Bell, Book and Candle...

ollypenrice

Speechless, Olly.

Fay

NEVER!!!! :)

Adrian got me thinnking and I went back to my binned colour RGB, discarded because of bad stars, removed these and re-did the colour with the full data set of just over 20 hours. I won't post another version here (I'm a devil for doing that, I know...) but it's here if anyone's interested;

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Nebulae-and-clusters/9252249_fgpT2j#1517108130_wbwFBmg-X2-LB

Olly

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly

Can I say this has to be probably the best Astro image i have ever seen! Forget all the colourful Hubble type images even M16 which is a classic.

This is a beautiful image and as all here understand the amount of effort involved it makes it even better.

This is the sort of image that keeps me interested in astronomy and I can only hope one day to achieve something 1/10th as good.

Brilliant!

Kind regards Jamie

NEVER!!!! :)

Adrian got me thinnking and I went back to my binned colour RGB, discarded because of bad stars, removed these and re-did the colour with the full data set of just over 20 hours. I won't post another version here (I'm a devil for doing that, I know...) but it's here if anyone's interested;

Nebulae and clusters. - ollypenrice's Photos

Olly

Olly, this is so well done - and I salute you for standing up to the task with an F7... :)

I think the last version is far better, and is indeed one of the most beautiful ghosts I've seen!!!

Cheers,

Harel

I know I've already commented on this fantastic image but could you tell us what the individual exposure lengths were for each channel, rather than the total exposure time?

I can and will, Steve! I did all the luminance in Bin1 and 15 minute subs, thirty of them. This was based on going after the tidal tail of that NGC galaxy in the Leo triplet. I was pretty lucky and the EM200 was on form so I used the lot.

The colour was entirely shot in 10 minute subs but a third of these were in Bin 2. This was a desperate attempt to get enough signal because the RGB contained little resolution or colour contrast in the dark nebulae. It was also washed out badly by the luminance, much to my surprise and dismay. For some reason the binned stars were AWFUL. I don't like binning but usually the loss of star quality is subtle. This time they stars looked like house bricks, maybe because I wasn't dither guiding and the guide trace was almost supernaturally good. I really don't know. Anyway, I used the binned colour in the end by removing the stars very carefully, which means the final exposure is actually 21 hours over four nights.

Get a Hyperstar!

Olly

Archived