Narrowband

17 Hrs with Bell, Book and Candle...

ollypenrice

...to exhorcise the desire to get close to the Ghost nebula!

F7 is not the way to go after this and even with 8 Hrs L and 3 hrs per channel RGB I was battling against the noise, because most of this object is little more than glorified backround sky.

It's in Cepheus and since it has nearly killed me it can stay there!

I wonder if my darks are a bit old. A complete restack is in order but I'm having a break now after an almighty run of clear nights.

Olly

GHOST-NEBULA-165HRS-X2.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow Olly thats a blinder!! i think this its my favourite from you yet....makes me want to go out and give it a go. I know the week is still young but its POW for me :)

Attaboy, Peter! You have the perfect instrument. I couldn't use my Luminance to the full (heartberakingly) because it overpowered the colour. I'd estimate that I'd need about 24 hours of colour to 'fill' the luminance that I have. Reluctantly I just kept dropping down the opacity of the L layer till the colour would support it. This obect needs F ratio!

Official name, by the way, os VdB141.

Olly

Ive often look at this and thought about having a go...Looking at yours I don't think I'll bother now:)

It was hard enough with the Iris Neb...the LP background being higher than the dark stuff!!!

Note to self - Win lottery and move next door to you!:)

Martin, I should add that, when I found TheSKy6 didn't have it in the database, a Google search while outside came up with your response to an SGL question and I used your RA and DEC co-ordinates to find it! My thanks to you, good sir...

Olly

That's ridiculously good.

Rather than LRGB, I wonder if there is another way to go about imaging some of these dusty nebulas.

Have you ever tried CMYK imaging? CMYK is more like a traditional ink printing process.

Another possible way, if you can determine that colours would appear in the final image is to emulate Pantone printing and using dedicated colour filters very much in the same way as narrowband.

So for this one, you might be able to use a light blue filter and a brown filter in combination with your luminance to achieve similar results in maybe a shorter duration?

I'll admit I haven't seen many "quality" colour filters for sale apart from RGB though.

That's ridiculously good.

Rather than LRGB, I wonder if there is another way to go about imaging some of these dusty nebulas.

Have you ever tried CMYK imaging? CMYK is more like a traditional ink printing process.

Another possible way, if you can determine that colours would appear in the final image is to emulate Pantone printing and using dedicated colour filters very much in the same way as narrowband.

So for this one, you might be able to use a light blue filter and a brown filter in combination with your luminance to achieve similar results in maybe a shorter duration?

I'll admit I haven't seen many "quality" colour filters for sale apart from RGB though.

Don't know about CMKY but, until this obect, I've taken the view that RGB did very well on dust without Luminance. On this, though, the RGB contains a resounding zilch. You'd be hard pressed to know that there was a nebula there at all. The structure is resoundinly there in the L. I do just wonder if Ha would pick anything up but I'm off to the Pleiades for a headbang next month and four long nights on this fella is enough. I forgot to say that I spent all of one night getting binned colour - 7 hours - and it all went in the bin. Useless. Awful square stars with colour defects. Very sad Olly in the morning.

Olly

Archived