Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 Syntrek no longer available.

FLO

The Skywatcher HEQ5 Syntrek mount is no longer available. At this stage we don't know whether this is a UK only situation, nor whether the Skywatcher EQ6 Syntrek will be similarly affected.

The HEQ5 SynTrek mount had the same pre-installed stepper-motors, motherboard and ST-4 autoguider port as the PRO SynScan but was supplied with a non-GOTO hand controller that provided slewing controls and automatic tracking of celestial objects. It was most popular with astro-imagers who use a PC running Planetarium software via EQMOD to control the mount, so have no need for the PRO model's GOTO handset.

skywatcher_heq5_syntrek.jpg

If you were planning to buy a HEQ5 Syntrek we suggest you start phoning around asap (we have sold out). If you are planning to buy an EQ6 Syntrek it might prove wise to buy sooner rather than later.

Hope that helps,

Steve

Just out of interest, when I got a EQ6 syntrek last May it had this leaflet in the box.....

220088_10150243585005844_621580843_8830541_4809034_o.jpg

Never seen or heard anything about it since. Connected? Could be a demotion for the Synscan controller and syntrek falls out the bottom.

http://focusscientific.com/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/510

These have been out since 2010?

Cannot see a "red" screen mode. That would suck.

Touch screen, probably sucky too and problematic , especially with dew :) and no haptic feedback most likely so you will be pressing non responsive virtual buttons repeatedly.

I think Skywatcher just took a step backwards in favour of touchy feedbackless screens ala iPad/iPhone ****.

OLD is the new NEW :)

On the plus side, you get a USB port, no need for flimsy adaptors :happy1:

I wouldn't expect more firmware updates for the SynTrek or Synscan now :D

There have been hints of new mounts for a while. They should be field testing but I guess those who have seen the new mounts are under confidentiality agreements. Let's hope there are some improvements and that they are bug free :-)

Bug free?

You mean like metal screws that don't bend when turned?

You mean like handsets that don't freeze up and have to be reflashed if you are lucky?

You mean like setting circles that are actually useful?

Archived