And my first M13 too!

Helen

Thanks guys, quite pleased :D

Still getting to grips with the camera/software combination. I've had a look at the manual for the capture software (Win Tv) and it says raw capture, but only at 320x240 for video, but I've now found that it can do stills at a much larger size (1600x1200). So would I be better with no compression small avi or larger but compressed BMP, GIF or JPEG do you think??

thanks

Helen

PS Details of the camera spec on Bern's website http://www.modernastronomy.com/watec.html if anyone is interested

Thanks guys, quite pleased :D

snip So would I be better with no compression small avi or larger but compressed BMP, GIF or JPEG do you think??

thanks

Helen

Playing time now, you need to mess about to get to know the foibles of your kit. That's the fun part! At least you know that you are nearly there.

Captain Chaos

How do integrating cameras work? Is it say 3 secs to build a live image and then the last frame just 'drops off' and is replaced by a new one? LIFO?

Not sure about the technicalities yet Gaz, but it looks like it puts however many frames you request together to produce the picture, and then updates once its taken the same number again. On the longest settings it updates every 10 secs, but the shortest is 0.5 secs so that is live-like (you can focus in real time effectively).

Playing time now, you need to mess about to get to know the foibles of your kit. That's the fun part! At least you know that you are nearly there.

Captain Chaos

Thanks CC - just need some clear nights now for playing and to be discipined in the testing strategy (and resist the urge to just take photos of more things!)

Helen

Thats a great first attempt Helen. I'm still trying to find it let alone take a picture. you can only just see two of the stars in the keystone from my back garden because of the light pollution in that direction

Darren

Still getting to grips with the camera/software combination. I've had a look at the manual for the capture software (Win Tv) and it says raw capture, but only at 320x240 for video, but I've now found that it can do stills at a much larger size (1600x1200). So would I be better with no compression small avi or larger but compressed BMP, GIF or JPEG do you think??

This is your manufacturer's webpage for it and the detailed specs are in the PDF file.

Any higher resolution stills are probably produced in software since the camera "only" has about 700x500 pixels.

On compression, you need to find out if its lossless or not. Compressed BMP and GIF should be lossless (the original image can be restored after decompressing). JPEG is NOT lossless, it will produce artefacts.

Archived