Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greeen Laser Advice

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would recommend the Celestron Green Laser Finder Kit, which is a legit 5mw device designed for astronomical use and is sold by many of the reputable astronomy dealers. Unfortunately, it's also quite expensive at £100 + retail in the UK. This is a touchy subject as you might be able to judge from other other threads on SGL, so do your research first and then decide whether you really need one. Please do NOT buy one of the cheap mega powerful pen devices you see advertised all over the Net - they do not do the reputation of our hobby any good - stick to a maximum of 5mw. The company Nick recommends is a responsible dealer by the sound of it and they have an excellent page on "Lasers and the Law", which you should read. It's possible they might not sell you anything more powerful than a Class2 device however unless your a member of an astronomical society and I'm not sure that will be much good for the purpose. Check with them first.

I stand to be corrected but the only laws in the UK relate to the selling of laser devices and the specific offence of shining a laser at aircraft, cars, etc. There's no law yet to prevent you as an individual shining whatever power of laser you like into the night sky but it's inevitable that this will change - it's only a matter of time.

It would be a shame if E.U. and/or U.K. legislators went for a total ban on green laser pointers but this is entirely possible given the weight of opinion against them.

I think our American friends have got it about right - they allow for legitimate use up to 5mw but ban anything above that. simple, clear and reasonable law making i.m.o.h.

I recently acquired a 5mW green laser penn from Odicforce for £12.50 and it's perfectly good enough whilst being the regulated <5mW. You don't need anything more powerful and saves the worry if you are ever 'checked' by the police. Also anything <5mW you get away with an accidental shot in the eye (sorry lol) as the eye can blink in time - I can vouch for this as already happened once when the on button hit the bracket screw when I was fixing it.

Scopenskies do a decent enough bracket for £15, so you can have the full set-up for under £30.

As posted before by other members it works well enough by squirting it through the finderscope, so you don't even need to go down the bracket route. I had already ordered the bracket so modded it to fit to the piggy back screw on the tube ring but if I'd have tried through the finder probably would'nt have bothered.

The safety warnings are obvious stuff but still read up on them. I will not point at anything low down in the sky near the horizon and always habitualy check for planes everytime. If there is a plane in that quarter of the sky, wait or point your scope and laser elsewhere.

Hi Woking,

I've been looking at that same <5mW laser from Odicforce. Since I'm also planning on getting a SnS mount too, does this laser have a proper on/off button or is it the "keep pushed for on" type? I think it would be easier if it could be kept on for a few seconds whilts the telescope is aimed.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Woking,

I've been looking at that same <5mW laser from Odicforce. Since I'm also planning on getting a SnS mount too, does this laser have a proper on/off button or is it the "keep pushed for on" type? I think it would be easier if it could be kept on for a few seconds whilts the telescope is aimed.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi

It's just the push on/off button, but to be honest it's no problem as I just use one hand for the button and the other to move the OTA (I release the RA/DEC locks on the GEM, then tighten them once pointed in the right direction).

Probably prefer the push button as will conserve the batteries longer and also the safety factor.

The laser I received from Odicforce came as expected and I think the guy does test them - it's definetely more powerful than a 1mW, as have compared with a couple of other guys in the Surrey Observers group.

Can't really ask for more as it delivers a strong clearly visible beam spot on the object you are pointing it at. It's improved my observing experience no end as I was struggling using the 9x50 finder on the EQ3-2 for anything higher than 50o (bad back and frustration!).

Best example would be last week when we would never have found Uranus and Neptune without the lasers and a fellow observer's Ipad - perfect for making sure you are all hunting in the same patch of sky and double check eachothers observations.

Only thing to remember is that the batteries go in backwards (negative facing the laser end), it had me stumped for a good 10 mins lol

Thanks Woking,

It my birthday in a few weeks time so I need to start dropping hints/web addresses to my wife :)

My main thought with a push button is the risk of moving the laser out of aligent with the scope as I move it. Perhaps I could hold the button down with an elastic band around the body. What do you think?

My mount is a goto which I'd use to show new astronomers where to look.

The bracket from SnS has 3 screw fixings each end holding the laser in place so it's unlikely to misalign. You could possibly use the top front screw to hold the button down but I've not tried that.

Tbh if you already have GOTO, you prob don't need the bracket if you still have a finderscope? as you can just squirt the laser through the finder, which is suprisingly accurate anyway.

Either way, £12.50 for that laser is a bargain, especially if you compare it to the 1mW ones that astro outlets supply. I could'nt believe the price of that Celestron one!!

Hi smt1988,

I'm not sure it is legal in the UK to use green lasers at or above 5mW in a public place. Astronomers spend a fair amount of time complaining about light pollution- I feel that 50mW may be overkill. Just my thoughts...

Green laser pointers are legal under 1.5MW (from memory - I used to work at trading standards so they were having a blitz on them a year or so ago).

However, I have had three green laser pointers over the years and all were above 5Mw, my most recent on is actually 30Mw.

Saying that though, all three green laser pointers have failed to last any prolonged amount of time. The 30Mw was amazing when I bought it in July, it provided a solid green beam even in dusk/low light conditions, at night it was spectacular. However I used it for some observing and I believe it got a tad cold, as the operating temp is 15-50 degrees. Since then it hasn't been the same, I've changed the batteries and still it only gives a meager green dot, not useful at all.

The first two were from eBay, the third and best one was from Digital Daffodil and is branded August, link provided below. I am going to e-mail them and see if they can fix / replace it as it should last longer than the occasional use every so often.

30mW Green Laser Pen Pointer > Digital Daffodil

Green laser pointers are legal under 1.5MW (from memory - I used to work at trading standards so they were having a blitz on them a year or so ago).

However, I have had three green laser pointers over the years and all were above 5Mw, my most recent on is actually 30Mw.

l

Watch those milli's and mega's !

I wish I had 1.5MW laser pointer - it would better than a light sabre!

Another quick thought, if anyone living within a few hundred meters of you happens to be an astronomer who is into imaging you may be completely wrecking their experience. I can understand lasers if you are showing people where to look, but if you are on your own and using it as a finder on your scope, why not get a red dot finder. Just my 2p worth :rolleyes:

Archived