Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greeen Laser Advice

I have a 5mw watt unit of good quality and it is invaluable at a public astro events, to describe the night sky, but be careful, if there is more than one demo group using them, do not let the beams cross, we lost a couple of spectators one granny three kids and a dog, but they turned up later none the worse for wear, only joking Lol :rolleyes:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 5mw watt unit of good quality and it is invaluable at a public astro events, to describe the night sky, but be careful, if there is more than one demo group using them, do not let the beams cross, we lost a couple of spectators one granny three kids and a dog, but they turned up later none the worse for wear, only joking Lol :rolleyes:

I heard that if you cross the streams, a giant marshmallow man appears and starts knocking over scopes. ;)

Well, I picked up a laser mount yesterday (still awaiting delivery of the green pointer) I fitted a red pointer I have and I'm pleased to say that the suggestion of using the holding screws to turn on the device worked really well.

The screws are made of plastic to they wont damage the pointer - I just hope they last...

All the green lasers I've seen in use, mine and others, have been under 5mW and more than adequate as a finder for scopes.

The main reason I got the laser was due to the awkward postions and frustration of using a straight thru finder on my frac/eq3-2. With the laser I just point and move the scope. Whilst a red dot finder would be more effective than the finder, you still need to bend and look through which the laser effectively does away with.

Ok, a right angle finder may be suggested but then how on earth do you know where you are pointing in the first place? at least the straigh thru finders allow you to keep one eye on the star and the other in the finder to 'merge' the 2 together.

Yep, lasers are great for observing in groups and yes you should respect imagers. However where we observe, I've not seen an imager once as it's in the middle of nowhere with no power points;)

Archived