Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Altitude Adjustment

Budgie

Hi All,

Looking for some advise.

I've just got an EQ5 Pro Goto and took it out for the first time last night.

When doing the polar alignment I found that I ran out of thread on the adjustment bolts before Polaris was in the setting circle.

My problem is that I'm in the Outer Hebrides at a latitude of 58° 14'N so Polaris is quite high.

The mount has already been fitted with the upgraded bolts from Astro Developments but the ratchet bolt still seems to be about 10mm too short.

Last night I swapped the ratchet bolt for the lock bolt, as that's slightly longer, and I managed to get aligment using that (without it fouling the Polar Scope) but this not ideal.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it?

Does anyone know where I can get a longer ratchet bolt from, or is it more likely that I'm doing something wrong with the setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin.

You are about 6 deg higher than me (South coast Kent) and I don't have much thread left, so your thoughts sound reasonable. You could always contact Astro Dev and see if they will swap your bolt for a longer one or just sell you a longer version.

That may well be the answer, Freddie, but I've read that it should go to at least 66° so was wondering why mine is out of bolt length at 58°?

I'll see if others have any ideas and maybe contact Astro Dev on Monday.

Thanks for the input. :)

I am at 54 degrees, my upgrade altitude bolt is almost all the way in, there is no way I could polar align at 56 degrees so your problem is, to me anyway, understandable....

As suggested contact astro developments and ask if they can supply a longer bolt.

Gary

How about reversing the bolts and putting the longer one at the bottom and the ratchet one at the top

I think that would be a problem as the RA axis tilts upto the level required, the bolt would foul on the mount body, I think, but not 100% sure.:)

Gary

Its worth chasing the upgrades, (Got mine through Ebay!) not only are they longer, but a LOT stronger and easier to use, check'em out?

It's already got the upgraded bolts on it but at 58° North, even these are too short. :)

I've emailed and phoned Astro Dev but got no answer to either so I'll try again tomorrow.

I have, for the time being, swapped the bolts around and with the round bolt I can get alignment without it fouling on the mount or the polar scope but it's not ideal and even like this there are only about 4 threads showing on the bolt.

I was looking around the net today trying to find something similar that would suit but all the ratchet lever bolts I found were shorter than the M8 x 60mm one I have.

Interestingly, I did find some that would replace the Az bolts and buying 50 sets worked out at £1.50 a set!! But these were plated bolts and not stainless. :(

The solution may be just to align by raise the North facing tripod leg and then doing the polar align through the scope. I read on here that the tripod base not being level doesn't effect the tracking of the mount, is that correct?

The solution may be just to align by raise the North facing tripod leg and then doing the polar align through the scope. I read on here that the tripod base not being level doesn't effect the tracking of the mount, is that correct?

Yes, seems a simple workaround to your problem, but will have the effect of moving the centre of gravity of the mount+scope towards the back(south) of the tripod.

That would explain it then.

Thanks for the info. :)

Martin,

John from Astrodevelopments is back.....:)

Got a E-mail today to confirm my HEQ5 upgrade bolts are in the post.

Give him a call.I hope he can help out......

Wayne

I spoke to John yesterday and emailed him all the details of the current setup with thread lengths and clearance between the ratchet and polar scope.

He's going to make a slightly longer ratchet bolt and slightly shorter locking bolt for me so that should sort out the problem. :)

I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

Nothing yet Wayne.

John said it would be Monday before they could do anything due to other orders and that's fine with me as I've been away this week and there's not been any sign of the clouds clearing up here. ;)

I did make a Polar Alignment webcam today though, so that's ready for the next clear spell. :D

Archived