NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new (vintage) bins

mdstuart

I spotted these on e-bay and won then for £4.20.. They are russian 7 x50s. I had heard good reports so I thought I would give it a go.

When they arrived smelling damp and looking rusty and dirty I thought...hmm maybe a mistake...BUT

Lots of patience with the 1.5mm screw driver, lens tools and lens pen, greece and lots of cleaning later and ..

Perfect clear optics and a very usable piece of kit. Splits that draco 60" double well and nearly splits Albeiro at x7...M33 is superb.

Lovely 6 deg FOV with stars like points accross the whole view.

So pleased!

Mark

post-14100-133877669439_thumb.jpg

post-14100-133877669448_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

I tried again tonight. Nu Draco which is about 60" is pretty easy.

I can just split zeta lyra which is 44 but I cannot split B Lyra which is 47 but with a large mag difference.

I get a hint that 16 Cygnus is a double in that it looks like an enlogated star in the right direction.

So I can split cleanly with dark space between the stars to 44" using these 7x binoculars...

I can get to magnitude 8.8 in a mag 5 skies with them.

What makes these bins special though is that they show pinpoint stars accross pretty much the whole FOV. It just makes the view more natural and realistic to my eyes which makes the experience a pleasure.

Try to split zeta lyra and 16 Cynus with your 7x50 andd 9x63's...What can you see..

Mark

Paul

Try to split zeta lyra and 16 Cynus with your 7x50 andd 9x63's...What can you see..

Mark

Will do when the skies clear again, even took my 9x63's to work all week but the cloud cover has been dreadful.

I had some Tento 10x50's that were very sharp across the field but seemed a little lacking in contrast.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Archived