Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount?

Dave1

Hello im new to Astronomy. Now im familar with the scope and how to set the mount up except for 1 point. The setting circles. The RA setting circle on my mount.

I'm hoping a person with the Skywatcher EQ3-2 mount can help. In the paper GB manual that came with the Skywatcher 150pl scope and EQ3-2 mount. On page 16, Fig n. It shows the RA setting circle. In the text below Fig n. It says it shows 8h 20m. Now unless i don't get it. It shows nothing of the sort.

I make it on the northern hemisphere scale 0h 23m. On the sountern hemisphere scale i make it 24h 43m.

Are my figures correct? Is the manual wrong? Any help would be greatly received. So that i know im reading the setting circles corectly.

Hello i already have a pdf from optical vision on the Skywatcher eq3-2 mount. I have already read what they are about and how to use them. Just not want to make sure i am reading the setting circles scale correctly. In the links you provided they arn't even the same mount or same scale layout. And i know know how to do a polar alignment. That part in my the manuals that came with the scope is correct.

Like i said in original post. I need to comfirm the skywatcher gb manual, fig n on page 16 that came with the scope is wrong. For my peace of mind. That i know according to the pdf on the Skywatcher Eq3-2 mount from optical vision. I'm reading the setting circles right.

Th RA circle on the EQ3-2 spins round so you can set to whatever you want. You only need to lock it for polar alignment if you have a polar scope fitted.

When observing, point your scope at a star that you know the RA and DEC coordinates for, and set the circles to show the right coordinates. You can then (in theory) use the setting circles to dial in the coordinates for any other object you chose and it will be in the finder scope. It's never worked quite like that in my experience.

On the EQ3-2 and most other SW mounts, the setting circles are more for decoration than function.

I've just checked my manual and the diagram showing how to use the setting circles is fine, the text says 8h20 and that is what it shows in the diagram.

However, it is on page 15 and marked as fig j, so I guess we have different versions of the manual.

My printed one is the same as this one: http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/14.pdf.

I've just checked my manual and the diagram showing how to use the setting circles is fine, the text says 8h20 and that is what it shows in the diagram.

However, it is on page 15 and marked as fig j, so I guess we have different versions of the manual.

My printed one is the same as this one: http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/14.pdf.

Rik,

Another big thank you!! - my original manual was well out and not as per your link!! - some of the pages supposed to be in English were in German!!

Page 16 on setting circles and "diag n" had me baffled!

I have now printed out the relevant setting circles pages from your link. (P15 Diag J)

However I find the minute scale very confusing and on the face of it very imprecise. (it seems other lines "align with any line on the main RA setting circle")

I appreciate that to some extent the circles are "decoration" but I would like to grasp their use and concept and at least try it on a couple of easily identifiable stars!!

Robin

• 1 year later...

Well... two years later and my Skywatcher  Explorer-150p was delivered with the confusing pages about using RA scales...

thanks for the link to a different version of the manual.

Both these scales fit like proverbial in the bucket and free float is ugly :mad:

I guess this part of the kit is useless? - forget it is even there...

• 2 months later...

I got very frustrated trying to "dial in" object positions from known stars.  I soon realised these dials are not big enough to be accurate and that star hopping is the best method.  Sometimes if a known star is in the same(ish) dec as the object I'm searching for then all I do is slew in RA from the known point and I'm not normally too far away :) 

Archived