Something for the refractor fans ......

John

Thanks for the post John. I've been keeping my eye on Istar and their forum contains a lot of interesting comments from Achros to Super Apos. Once the company gathers more awareness and a proven product record I suspect they will be able to step up production across their range though I should imagine that will mean their prices rise a little further. I do like the handles that he has made though I was little disappointed that he hadn't made the counterweights out of lignum vitae! :( All together with the tripod it is an impressive project though from some angles it is still going to resemble one of those large medieval trebuchet.

Thanks for posting

James

nice looking scope...anyone ever made their own?

DaveGibbons mentioned in a recent For Sale post that the one scope that he is keeping, is the IStar-based one which he made himself.

One of the scopes that I own is the 1/12th Wave PV, OO-based 150mm Newtonian built by johninderby - but the tube that it's made from is a brand-new Sky-Watcher 150PL body, rather than a home-made tube.

The tube in the article above, looks entirely made from wood - surely its focus would drift depending on the humidity?

• 1 year later...

I'd like one of these, but my run-off observatory would be rather inadequate to house it,ha ha. I'm taking delivery of a used ISTAR 6" f10 refractor on Monday and I'll have to be careful I don't foul the roof even with that focal length! If it gives images comparable with this scope I'd be more than delighted.

Archived