NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Its all about size...

banner001

Range of scope sizes  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Range of scope sizes

Want to see the range of scopes on here (if you have multiple scopes you can poll multiple times). Round sizes up to the nearest inch, ill put a list here for those that cant be bothered to do the math :)

so a 3" scope should be listed as a 4".

2"=50.8mm

4"=101.6mm

6"=152.4mm

8"=203.2mm

10"=254mm

12"=304.8mm

14"=355.6mm

16"=406.4mm

20"=508mm

25"+=635mm+

For those in the 20"+ or 25"+ (im guessing this includes noone) please state the diameter of your mega-scope :)

I think 18" has cured my aperture fever permanently. Going significantly larger (i.e. 25") will become a logistical challenge. It would mean a trailer and dedicated clean space the garage (ideally with its own air conditioning system). Focal lengths get longer and focal ratios get faster... I've also realised something else. The more time I spend with big scopes the more I find I can see in my 10" (the little one in the picture). I had expected the views through larger scopes would make the 10" seem too small. If anything, the opposite is the case. So, yes, the 30" is the sort of scope you go to star parties to look through so that someone else does all the work :)

yeah i think 16" might be my usable limit, might one day look at getting a 20" made...but at the cost of a secondhand superbike its not cheap :)

Umadog you are still in the "lead", its also interesting to see that the results dont make a standard bell curve...interesting.

Yeah, the curve won't be bell-shaped because it will have a longer tail in the direction of bigger apertures. It might even look like it has two humps because I reckon we'll see relatively few 14" scopes. The Lightbridge, for instance, misses 14" and goes straight to 16".

The 30" mirror box is a 4-man lift and assembly requires holding the mirror box in a low enough position for two people to attach the head section and truss tubes :)

Great fun and absolutely amazing views!!

Yeah, the curve won't be bell-shaped because it will have a longer tail in the direction of bigger apertures. It might even look like it has two humps because I reckon we'll see relatively few 14" scopes. The Lightbridge, for instance, misses 14" and goes straight to 16".

yeah it has got two peaks, ~6"-10" and ~16"

I am a bit surprised, too. Considering how many Meade and Celestron 8 inch SCTs have been sold down through the years, and observering how many show up at our public star parties, I had the impression that the whole WORLD owned the 8 inch SCT !

I think with Astro-photography becoming more popular, along with more home observatories, the 11 inch scope might become more common, although the survey does not include 11 inches per se. We have a couple of 11" SCT owners in our club, now, and several others that are strongly considering the purchase of one.

Jim S.

Archived