NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sorry - it's going to be gloomy!

Yep, get ready for the worst spell of weather for a long time! I've finally done the deed and placed my order for a C11/CG5 combo. :)

Ok - it might not be the most ideal combination for some things, but it will provide a starting point from which I can grow (assuming my wife doesn't read this! :().

So, get in any observing before Wednesday, as that's when the clouds will become an even more stubborn feature in the night sky! :D

Has anyone got any hints or tips regarding the new kit and setting up an GE mount for the first time?

hey Chris,

thx alot 4 yet more clouds, altho been cloudy for weeks here anyway

so shouldn't make much difference :)

as u know i've recently got same combo so hopefully we can help each other

i've found couple tips already so will add them to my other threads

have u ordered any accessories with above

i got dew shield, and polarscope, and mains power supply,

still lots i want but i considered these as essentials

tips, follow instructions there fairly good except for couple things i mentioned in other threads, and re read them as much as possible

and practise setting up indoors as many times as possible

makes mounting ota in dark less of a heartattack experience and easier all round

welcome aboard the C11 club :(

look forward to hearing your opinions on 1st light etc

James

Expect awesome weather up until you receive the 'scope, and after that you'll have time to set up/tear down your kit for a good 3 weeks :(

Have a look at this app, works great for finding out the position of polaris for polar alignment: Free Polar Alignment Software Download Polar FinderScope by Dr. Dale Jason Version 2.04

Starmap Pro (for iPhone or iPad if you have any of those) also has a nice tool built in for PA, but kind of costly..

Just make sure your mount is leveled and 'scope nicely balanced and you should be fine :)

Don't forget to attach the counterweights before the OTA, you don't want your new shiny telescope to swing around and hit the tripod legs.

//Anders

hey Chris,

thx alot 4 yet more clouds, altho been cloudy for weeks here anyway

so shouldn't make much difference :)

as u know i've recently got same combo so hopefully we can help each other

i've found couple tips already so will add them to my other threads

have u ordered any accessories with above

i got dew shield, and polarscope, and mains power supply,

still lots i want but i considered these as essentials

tips, follow instructions there fairly good except for couple things i mentioned in other threads, and re read them as much as possible

and practise setting up indoors as many times as possible

makes mounting ota in dark less of a heartattack experience and easier all round

welcome aboard the C11 club :(

look forward to hearing your opinions on 1st light etc

James

I've got a dew shield coming and already have a mains adapter that I think will be suitable, asssuming that it has the same requirements as the 4SE mount (12v tip positive).

Well done on your scope. Good choice fpr the car you have. Will still be a bit of a beast, but nowhere as much as a dob. Looking forward to enjoying some free skies togeather. And looking forward to seein what kind of photos you can take with it!

I feel like the weather gods are ganging up on us here in Maryland USA. There is a Hurricane coming on shore in the Gulf of Mexico, another one headed in from the Atlantic, and a storm system coming across from the Great Lakes. If they all converge on us at the same time, I am going to have to find Noah's ark, and in a hurry, too !

Enjoy your week !

New scope syndrome here too, not had chance to use it AT ALL yet :) Mostly clear nights up until purchase and since then it's been solid cloud every night, with no signs of improving lol

Dying to look at Jupiter, it's my fave planet and all the pics being posted are making me jealous :(

Archived