Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at Jupiter.

Hello everyone,

Well tonight I saw Jupiter and its moons for the first time. A brilliant sight. I thought I was going to be unlucky as soon as I arrived at the site the clouds started rolling in but fortunately they passed after about half an hour or so.

I managed to take some avi's with my spc900 too so I'll post the results when I've processed them. I'm hoping that the results will be an improvement on my Saturn attempts.

I'd really like to be able to get all the moons in the frame too but I don't think the spc900 is sensitive enough for that. Perhaps it would work with a long exposure mod??

Anyway I'm off to bed.

Ed

Here are my attempts at Jupiter. I've processed them using Registax and are the best that I could achive in the hour or so I've had. Can someone tell me why the raw image recorded by the SPC900 is so much worse, in terms of quality than when looking through the eyepiece?

Yesterday, as I looked through the eyepiece with a 5mm eyepiece I could see Jupiter and its 4 moons. It's a shame that I couldn't capture this image with my current setup. I'm in need of a DSLR I think.

Ed

post-25937-133877655648_thumb.jpg

post-25937-133877655652_thumb.jpg

Very nice 1st time images. The field of the camera is probably too small to get all of Jupiters 4 moons in one go, the lesser quality of the single raw image compared to the eyepiece view is due to the fact that the eye works somewhat like a video camera and slightly processes the live image on the fly.

I'd really like to be able to get all the moons in the frame too but I don't think the spc900 is sensitive enough for that. Perhaps it would work with a long exposure mod??

You can get them if you turn up the gain, overexposing Jupiter. Then paste a separately processed Jupiter over the overexposed one.

Hi guys. Yes I did take one avi with the gain turned up and Jupiter over exposed. The processing didn't turn out great though but I'll give it another go and see what I get.

Compared to a lot of the photos I've seen on this forum my efforts are pretty dismal. I'd like to be able to get the image much crisper and sharper.

What sort of % of good frames do you guys stack? I think I was using the top 20%

Ed

i take it you used a 2x barlow for these shots as using the 200p with the spc900 would give you all the moons aswell and jupiter wouldnt be that big.

also how many frames did you take and at what fps.1000 frames at 10fps should be enough to get a good image off the frames.

Hi, yes you're right, I used the x2 SW Barlow. I have to use this as I can't achieve focus without it.

I took 800 frames at 10fps. Looking at the avi it appears that the focus wasn't brilliant even though I used a bahtinov mask. I guess it could have been the seeing.

I'd be interested to give the raw file to someone who knows what they're doing in registax. Plus, someone can give an opinion on the quality of the raw file which in my opinion is quite poor. Let me know if Anyones interested and I can point you to an FTP site for download.

Cheers

Ed

Archived