NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter GRS Sept 1st

Space Cowboy

You little devil, i saw the sky was blue this morning here, and thought STUDID XXXXXXX WEATHER

Good to see you got it look foward to seeing the polished result, what was transparency like dew on your mirrors ect, reason i ask next question. did you try any at 61fps ? if so whats your impressions whats better. transparency and dew on mirrors is a big deal at 61 fps with a 10" it will likely mean 30 fps will be better due to better histogram, and noise levels. but with clear mirrors and good trans, 61 is def doable i think, well thats what im trying to learn so far, whats your thoughts with the colour cam

You little devil, i saw the sky was blue this morning here, and thought STUDID XXXXXXX WEATHER

Good to see you got it look foward to seeing the polished result, what was transparency like dew on your mirrors ect, reason i ask next question. did you try any at 61fps ? if so whats your impressions whats better. transparency and dew on mirrors is a big deal at 61 fps with a 10" it will likely mean 30 fps will be better due to better histogram, and noise levels. but with clear mirrors and good trans, 61 is def doable i think, well thats what im trying to learn so far, whats your thoughts with the colour cam

LOL! Rule number one Neil always take the weather forecast with a pinch of salt :( I reckon my new avatar is a lucky charm.:)

I've taken about 12 avis and so far looked at 3. This one was 1/61 @ 60fps.Stacked 1400 from 11000 will try a bigger stack when time allows.

I doubt the 30fps @ 1/30 shots are duds just looked at one and its the dreaded onion rings! I had gain at 600 thinking that was 60% but of course its not as gain goes over 1300 so I've broken my own rule of not lowering gain below 50%. Forgot to try 45fps @ 1/45.

At 6am i removed the dew shield as it was looking **** eyed so whether the secondary has started to mist on this shot after 10 mins I'm not sure..doubt it...forgot to check mirror at close of play. These early morning sessions are not the best for a quick brain lol.

When aligning Jupiter with eyepiece seeing looked wobbly but once on screen appeared not too bad.

Btw does the background look ok on this shot...is it jet black only I'm wondering if my pc monitor is too dark as the netbook showed a grey area around this image?

Cheers oldfruit!

Background looks ok to me ive got a bright monitor it shows flaws, ill have another look, but it looks ok from here. Your data on this dont look to bad. you must have more than 1400 from 11000. though i realize your tracking will cause more trouble than say with a neq6. and i know you keep it short for a quickie, so as mentioned look foward to you having a proper go at it. luminence needs to come up, but i know you know that so, i reckon this might be a lovely little capture once processed properly.

Still looks to me like your getting the early morning clarity that i keep banging on about. as jupiter gets higher and higher, the captures get sharper and sharper dont they. I also belive as the sun rises ( just before infact ) the morning produces a calm. You wait till opposition if temps drop and you hit thermals in your area houses or other stuff. you will look back and think my god it was calm back then. i know you wasnt convinced on my cold air shock theory, but at my location trust me Stuart the summer is better, and for all the reasons im stateing, thats not to say i wont get good opposition shots, as jupiter will be bigger and brighter, so only need a couple of misty reasonable nights and bob will be my uncle. but you get the point i think. i love these early morning shows, its some of the calmer seeing i reckon. dont forget venus this year. You should get a UV filter. expensive i know. but when you see what im going to get ( forever the optimist ) youll want to have some of that too i reckon. got my astrodon uv, just waiting to break out. I want that spot damm i never get the spot ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just had a play with it, there is quite a lot of nice detail there. but you will find once you up the levels ( you may choose not to infact after you try ) because your shooting in daylight im guessing quite late here, there is a lot of blueing around the edge. it became more noticable after upping levels and saturation. youll see what i mean when you mess with it. the further you go back in the captures the less edge blueing will be there. Its a nice capture i think this camera is already killing your spc, much as i loved that old camera IS rule

Was that with the DFK (mono?) or the SPC900 ?

Interested as whenever I have tried using a 5x barlow, I can't get anywhere near the clarity you have captured (admittedly only visual thus far, maybe the stacked image looks better than visual?)

... maybe the stacked image looks better than visual?...

Absolutely. You'll be amazed at how much more detail a stacked image made with an SPC900 will show compared to what you can make out visually.

There was one occasion last year when I had a few moments of perfect seeing, and Jupiter looked almost as good as the photographs, but that was just a brief, glorious, breathtaking moment!

Was that with the DFK (mono?) or the SPC900 ?

Interested as whenever I have tried using a 5x barlow, I can't get anywhere near the clarity you have captured (admittedly only visual thus far, maybe the stacked image looks better than visual?)

DFK colour cam. Spc900 is consigned to history now. :)

Cheers Jason!

Thanks James. This was purely a lucky punt lol I knew GRS would be on show at dawn and despite there being solid cloud all week and the same forecast for last night I set my alarm for 4.30am expecting to gaze out of the window at thick cloud and then return to bed but NO IT WAS CLEAR!!! Not a cloud to be seen. Those weathermen should be comedians :(

Bit annoyed with myself as I used too much gamma (94 which is nearly 20%) on this session which has produced some ringing. Neil brought this to my attention and when I checked my settings from previous session I'd had the gamma lower. Always had gamma set to zero for the webcam so will try the same next time even though it will mean using higher gain with more noise.

Archived