Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to place Revelation Crayford Focuser on SkyWatcher OTA

Kaminovs

Stock Rack and Pinion focuser on my SkyWatcher 250p was aged and I wanted to have two speed focuser on this OTA.

After browsing available offers, I have put my eye on Revelation two speed crayford focuser for newtonian telescopes. It was on offer from http://www.telescopehouse.com for 67.99 GBP

It arrived in just a day from ordering so thumbs up for good service! First impression was very good. It arrived well packed in foamed box all safe and good looking.

All in all focuser is manufactured in very nice quality. It moved very smoothly and it look and operate good, very good for this money.

30082011531.jpg30082011532.jpg

30082011533.jpg30082011535.jpg

Here is Revelation focuser comparing to Skywatcher stock focuser:

30082011530.jpg30082011529.jpg

Usual problem in fixing Revelation focuser to SkyWatcher OTA is a big hole on Skywatcher and small base plate on Revelation Focuser.

After measuring base plate on Revelation and SkyWatcher focuser I found that they are similar diameter and can be cross changed.

So I removed Base plate from stock rack SkyWatcher Focuser

30082011536.jpg

Next I removed base plate on Revelation focuser, by unscrewing four hidden screws on baseplate sides (two each side)

30082011537.jpg30082011538.jpg

Next I have drilled several holes in needed diameter, threaded them and used hidden screws.

I have done several wrong attempts to figure out just a perfect spot to put holes, but generally, it was like 3-4mm from edge, so it would keep focuser firmly in place.

30082011540.jpg

And here we have Revelation focuser on stock SkyWatcher base plate, perfectly fitting your OTA tube.

30082011541.jpg30082011543.jpg

I found this solution to be more practical than modifying OTA with additional holes etc.

No way Kaminov! I have just noticed what written at the bottom of your page!! The same thing I have scribed up one of my forearms!! Great job wit the focuser by the way, I want to upgrade my skywatcher stock for someting similar. Food for thought!

post-27721-133877654308_thumb.jpg

I see it was fitted same way :)

Yep, just a week ago... wasnt happy with the patched up holes from the original revelation plate, managed to secure it with 6 X M3 grubscrews, Im sure my paint wasnt 100% dry when I used it at Cumbria star party last weekend :(

Its nice than few people come into same sollution. it must be a good one :)

Btw, do you use extension tube with this focuser? and if yes how long? 50 or 80?

Cheers!

The extension in the pic is a 35mm which lets me focus both my 1.25" and 2" eyepieces and a 50mm extension in which only the 2" eyepiece comes to focus.

L

I'd missed that. Where did you get the 35mm extension from Lorne. Is it thumbscrew or compression ?

Got it from Ebay.... brass compression ring, theyre still listed, £18.99 with free postage, astrodevelopments is the seller.

L.

Archived