NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alt Az Mounts.

Coco

Has anybody got any designs or have they got any images of there own home made alt az mount?

I see William Optics has stopped production of the EZTouch .. has anyone used on of these?

depending on what you are mounting on it , there are some Astro Engineering ones on astroboot at £20.00 that have slo-mo controls and are very well made. You will need to add some slo-mo knobs as they don't come with them.

I can thoroughly recommend the mount.

Paul

The Giro alt-az mounts seem to by highly thought of. I use a Giro-type mount made by Ambermille Engineering in Norfolk a few years back. It handles a 20 lb OTA just fine and the somewhat lighter ED120 is a piece of cake for it:

post-12764-133877653275_thumb.jpg

funnily enough I am starting to get some ideas in my head for a home made alt az from (probably) plywood. It won't have slowmo controls, just friction (via teflon and maybe laminate - like a dob). it will only be holding a light 90mm short achro so won't be taxed too much, will be light too and (hopefully) work well - it does in my mind anyway.

I'll start a thread but not sure when I'll get started - first will be a home made guidescope mount in the same materials to use the 90mm achro as a finder on my big dob.

I've used the WO EZ-Touch mount and it was OK but nothing special. The mount was a cheaper version (cheaper inside that is) of the AOK mount which is still made by AOK. They make other designs as well.

http://www.aokswiss.ch/d/mont/ayo/ayo1/ayo1.html

John

Thanks for the link..

Also that site links to this .. Interestingly it seems William Optics has ripped the idea off, this would explain why they have stopped production.. Its probably something legal .. The Taiwanese ROC ?? :)

TMB 115 APO - Review

I think the WO Ez-Touch was originally made by AOK then WO switched production to the far east while AOK continued to produce a similar product though better engineered so I've heard and as John suggests.

I don't know if thats why WO have dropped the Ez-Touch though.

depending on what you are mounting on it , there are some Astro Engineering ones on astroboot at £20.00 that have slo-mo controls and are very well made. You will need to add some slo-mo knobs as they don't come with them.

I can thoroughly recommend the mount.

Paul

cant find it :(

Its not on the AE site either?.. can you send a link :)

they are very good I believe.

I have just found a decent photo head which I have used previously and this might be OK for my purposes for now until I can afford a mini giro or similar. it's only for a 2kg scope OTA (plus bits) so won't be too taxing.

Hi Coco,

I made this using the sawblade shaft and plummer block from an old sawbench. The motor rotor became the az axis. As you can see,I use it mainly with my ST80, but it easily takes my 4" frac and would probably handle a 6" reflector. Hope you can get some ideas from it.

Cheers, John.

post-13373-133877658583_thumb.jpg

Archived