Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep space pics with Philips (or any other) webcam

Can a modified webcam take pics of deep space objects?

I was sure I read a thread today that talked about this, but now I can't find it. I was also googling this subject and now I'm not sure if I read about it on this site or some other site. Help please.

A webcam modified for long exposure can capture dso's - that's what the mod is specifically for - try searching on SPC900, or SPC880 for the mod - there should be some examples in the imaging section of what can be done with a webcam. :)

As they can be modified for dso imaging their don't seem to be many examples out their maybe orion,best just on planets,whitch just never seems to get clear enough details for me and that's with good focus and with planet high in sky,but what can we expect for a cam around £10 a lot of people now will be saving for the dmk webcams at a price of over £400,did try my unmodified cam on sun yesterday with very good results.

Thank you for all the info. I took a view pictures of Jupiter with my digital camera up to the eyepiece of my telescope and they are not too bad; now I would like to see more and better :-)

I ordered an SPC880 yesterday to make my first non-afocal foray into astrophotography and I was wondering this too.

I do like the sound of a long exposure mod but I've never used a soldering iron before so I'm a bit worried I'll bridge the wrong connections.

I was sure I read a thread today that talked about this, but now I can't find it. I was also googling this subject and now I'm not sure if I read about it on this site or some other site. Help please.

heres all you need to know about using a modded webcam for deep space.

Astronomy Shed UK Astronomy Forum • View topic - TUTORIAL INDEX.

I have an SPC880 too. I think im going to buy a 2nd one just as it is and flash it myself and attempt the LX mod too. At least that way if I mess it up I still have my normal cam. And the bog standard cam is not very expensive.

Thinking about it a shopping list for the LX mod would be handy if anyone can knock one together, also where to get the parts from.

Parts for the mod can be sourced from any electronic seller, I get components from Rapid

http://www.rapidonline.com/

or you can use Farnell or RS electronics.

Here I found a site to explain soldering techniques but in the end it's all down to practice so if you haven't done much, buy a small bit of vero board and some wire and practise a bit first.

Soldering

The SPC880/900 are far easier to modify than the old toucams.

EDIT: If you are going to flash the webcam firmware, be sure to:

Have your laptop plugged into the mains power adapter. Never just on battery, also good to turn off automatic updates whilst your doing it just incase your computer tries to reboot during the process.

Have a video window displaying what the webcam is "seeing" before you use the flashing software.

Using the flash software, save a copy of the firmware already on the webcam.

Yes, but with limitations. They work better on brighter DSO's as the pics posted demonstrate. Resolution is somewhat limited, as is bit depth.

As a cheap(ish) way to learn the ropes of digital astrophotography there is something to be said for them, just depends on the level of picture that you are hoping to achieve really.

What sort of pictures are you hoping to take? And with what other equipment?

Cheers

Tim

What sort of pictures are you hoping to take? And with what other equipment?

Cheers

Tim

I want pictures of anything and everything that can be seen.

I have no special equipment, just my telescope and my curiosity. I want to see if I can do this. I wowed by family with the Jupiter pics I took with my Kodak digital camera through the EP of my telescope. I want to go a step further :-)

Thank you to everyone for all the valuable info. I love this place.

Archived