Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quality Control - Low Cost APOs

Thats interesting.

Telescope House state that, for the Meade 127 Triplets they sell, that they are "INDIVIDUALLY TESTED: Each premium 127mm triplet is tested optically and tuned in Europe to ensure maximum performance."

I wonder if this is the company that has been doing the testing for TH ?.

Thats interesting.

Telescope House state that, for the Meade 127 Triplets they sell, that they are "INDIVIDUALLY TESTED: Each premium 127mm triplet is tested optically and tuned in Europe to ensure maximum performance."

I wonder if this is the company that has been doing the testing for TH ?.

Possibly as their quality control set-up looks to be a lot larger scale and more professional than you'd expect from a small dealer. I must admit I'll definitely be considering them for future purchases.

John

Hmmm. I seem to be getting nowhere with my order for an Orion ED80T CF with SCS, so I might consider the 80/480 triplet as a backup.

What with some of the lower cost APOs quality control being a bit hit and miss this German dealer Teleskop-Spezialisten seems to have a pretty good quality control system for the scopes they sell.

http://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de/ueber_uns.html

John

Works out at £709 for the carbon fibre.

I'll give SCS another chase this week as I stand to save £100 with their promise to supply at the old price of £615.

This does look a bit similar doesn't it. :rolleyes:

80/480 Carbon FPL-53 Triplet APO

John

Works out at £709 fot the carbon fibre.

I'll give SCS another chase this week as I stand to save £100 with their promise to supply at the old price of £615.

Is carbon-fibre really the way to go for refractor tubes ?.

It may be lighter but I'm sure I've read that it's a good insulator which gets in the way of cooling times I would have thought :rolleyes:

Maybe not in smaller apertures though.

Is carbon-fibre really the way to go for refractor tubes ?.

It may be lighter but I'm sure I've read that it's a good insulator which gets in the way of cooling times I would have thought :rolleyes:

Maybe not in smaller apertures though.

There is no one answer for alu vs carbon. The advantage of good carbon refractors is limited thermal focus ****... but still wherever alu vs carbon is brought it ends as endless discussion :)

Carbon fibre tubes can be better for thermal stability, but it has to go along with a proper temperature compensating lens cell. You can't just replace the metal tube with a carbon fibre one without making other changes.

Apparently as the temperature changes the changes in the lens cell can be compensated by the dimensional changes in a metal tube. When you use carbon fibre with it's very small changes in dimensions as the temperature changes the lens cell has to be properly designed to remain dimensionally stable. Good temperature compensating lens cells aren't cheap or easy to design. BTW the above came from a conversation with Markus Ludes of APM on the subject of carbon fibre tubes.

For an example of a properly designed and manufactured carbon fibre tube OTA look at A&M or as it's now known Officina Stellare.

In the lower priced scopes I doubt it has any real advantage other than perhaps lighter OTA weight.

John

Archived