Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade LPI experience anyone ?

Does anyone have experience of using a Meade LPI ?

I know that they are not the best imaging solution available but I picked one up for a song recently and I'd like to give it a go. I've no imaging experience but I just want to have some fun with the moon and brighter planets.

Any good "1st steps" web sites for the LPI you can recommend ?.

Thanks,

John

The manual says it's equivilent to a 6mm eyepiece which tallies with the view compared with an actuall 6mm eyepiece.

Judging from the lack of feedback (apart from yours Gary - thanks !) I reckon I'm on my own with this one !.

John

Hi John,

I've got one too - the picture of Saturn that's my avatar was taken with one. That was a complete fluke!!! I have been unable to replicate anything like it. I was hoping that someone would come to your aid and I could tag along... :?

Ah well... any insights you get I'd be grateful to know about :D

Helen

• 1 year later...

Hello

I just posted this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/77946-viewing-moon-meade-lpi.html

It may help though I think we already have an expert present looking at Helen's piccie - very nice, I can see Cassini's division in there.

I took this movie of Saturn and the Moon with mine - you may have trouble viewing it since it uses an MPEG2 codec, but you can get a free one if you search the web a bit.

Saturn-Moon occultation

Oops, just re-read my page and this sequence was from the DSI, but I was also using the LPI at the time.

Iain

Sorry John, only just noticed this 'thread'

I've had an LPI for a few years now, and its exactly what the name says, a Lunar Planetary Imager.

I also bought a Phillips SPC900NC, and quite frankly, there's nothing much to choose between them.

It would be unfair to compare it with a modded webcam, Skynix or DMK, as it doesn't pretend to be any of those.

The LPI is nothing more than a CMOS sensor webcam, with a bit of clever software (sorting & stacking) thrown in with it.

If you accept it for what it is, that is for imaging the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and at a 'push' Mars, its Ok, but no more.

The biggest restriction with the LPI, and similar devices (Celestron etc), is the limited frame rate, without compression.

As you didn't pay a lot for it, then have a 'play' and you might find it useful.

I still use mine BTW.

Dave

Hi John

Its a very simple device to use.

Ok its not up to the standard of the new cameras out there.

With a bit of patience and practice you could do some nice

enough images.

(Meade uses one of mine in their current catalogue)

PM me an email adress and tonight i will send you a simplistic guide i knocked up.....

Ed

I have one.. all my images up until recently where taken with it..

I would forget the autostar suite/envisage for imaging and use K3CCD instead - I used martins guide here when starting out, it really helped!!

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/40665-primer-planetary-imaging-toucam.html - same principles for the lpi as the toucam.

Good luck!

Gonna try and use mine for guiding as soon as I manage to get both scopes mounted :S

Heres some stuff I got using the LPI:

moon_250108.jpg

pano3.jpg

saturn_25_02_08.jpg

Jupiter1.jpg

Nice idea but "too" scientific and pricey for me...

I used to have visiting rights to a ocean optics fibre optic spectrometer (300-1200 nm) and I am trying to persuade the new "boss" that I need another one for optical source testing and the filter test bench that goes with it for "transmission" measurements of optical safety glasses...

USB4000 Miniature Fiber Optic Spectrometer

Peter...

Only thing with the LPI is that it can be a pig to get working in vista, depending on your tech skills (registry searching/edting), meade it would appear aren't going to be updating the lpi drivers any time soon, so you are stuck with letting it be recognised as a trust webcam and hacking through the registry to make it work.

Archived