Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Parallelogram?

Skills

I can't vouch for these so cannot recommend them or otherwise, perhaps if Steve revisits this thread he may be able to comment on them.

Orion Paragon-Plus BinoMount & Tripod - SCS Astro

Rather restricted motions compared to the UA mounts (I have their T-mount, which is a shorter incarnation of their Millennium mount) and nowhere near the weight carrying capacity. OK for 70mm binocs; I'd be loathe to put anything heavier on it.

If you could, I'd find that very useful :rolleyes:

Graham Wood's mount -- I've used the original (Graham was a real craftsman!); superb with 50mm binocs and easily sturdy enough for 70mm ones.

Scott Wilson's mount -- a really good implementation; more complex than Graham's, but better for big (i.e. 80-100mm) binoculars. This is the one that found its way into my ATM book -- borrow it from the library if Scott's photos don't give you enough info and you want instructional text.

I used SCS Astro recently, I bought a top of the range parallegram mount from them. Took 3 weeks for delivery. Came bent and rusted. I was told it was inspected and perfect on dispatch. I said to them how can it be bent during delivery if the bent area is also rusted. Clearly i was sent a second hand defected product.

Knowig its their last unit, i said well araange for pickup of the returbed item and ill swap it for the Orion moubt if its actualy new and instock. Was told it ibstock and new. Well 3 days since placib order and no delivery yet, hum instock hey.

Ill keep you guys poste how they handle my refund.

I used SCS Astro recently, I bought a top of the range parallegram mount from them.

Which mount was that? If it was one of the UA ones, Larry Patriarca (who runs UA) will not be at all happy -- he has built a reputation on excellent service and products, which he carefully maintains. He refused to have a UK distributor for years because of the mark-up they wanted to put on his products. I was very surprised when I found that he'd chosen SCS.

Thanks for posting those designs, Steve. I think I will make a wooden version (that or make an aluminium design). Nice project.

An advantage of wood over aluminium is that, all else being equal, wood has better vibration-damping properties.

Is the virgo one bit rubbish

Let's just say that it's not as good as the UA ones. But then, it's a lot cheaper. I don't know if Virgo Astronomics is still in business; their web site seemed to disappear some years ago.

Archived