Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with selecting a telescope

Hi all, I would like to purchase a telescope.

I have no idea where to start so please forgive me!

I would like something that I can capture images through, I have a couple of Canon DSLR's that it would be nice to use.

Any advice on where to start would be great ::)

Hi,

I think you are going to have to give us a little more info as the range of possibilities is truly massive !.

How much are you willing / able to spend ?.

Do you want to use the scope for visual observing as well ?.

Does the scope need to be portable ?

Are you interested in imaging planets / the moon or is it deep sky objects you are after ?.

Those are just a few things to think on - I'm sure others will ask more questions as well so that we can work towards some viable options for you :)

I would suggest that you find a local astronomy club, be patient, have a look at some of the equipment, and talk to some of the amateurs about their telescopes,,, it will be a significant investment... I am amazed at some of the photos that I see... I just enjoy VISUAL ASTRONOMY... so after 40 years of observing... I have a 12" DOB and I love the views... GOOD LUCK and WELCOME to SGL.......

thanks guys.

I forgot to say about money lol. to start of with I think I could probably spend something like £300-400.

I would like to mainly observe the moon & planets, but deep sky would be good at some point.

It would be good if it was semi portable, I won't be taking it out often but I live near a forest which has a lot less light pollution so the flexibility would be useful.

I would like to use it for both photography and observing with the eye.

Thanks!

Hi There,

Good advice from deepspacehunter, remember to keep some budget for a couple of reasonable eyepieces. Do go along to any local astro group, there is always good used kit for sale on SGL. Suspect you will be limited to visual at first, but that will allow you to explore this addictive hobby first!

Once you have narrowed down your choices open a new thread for new advice.

Good luck with your quest.

The budget does not get you into deep sky imaging with a DSLR. No point in saying otherwise. Imaging starts with the mount, my own minimum being the HEQ5 which, alone, blows your budget. Then you'd want a small refractor, ideally, but they are not great visually.

If you went for imaging the solar system with a webcam (the best way) then the whole thing gets much more realistic.

Olly

You probably already have a camera lens that could be used with your DSLR for wide-field astrophotography. If you have some patience then a simple home made barn-door mount would be a good start (Google 'barndoor astrophotography'). You might also consider a secondhand EQ3 or EQ5 mount with a motor and polarscope. If you already have a good tripod and ball-and-socket head then consider the Astrotrac TT320X-AG, though that would take you a little over your budget.

Some have spent the cost of a family car on imaging kit but don't let anyone tell you that is the only way. You can have a heck of a lot of fun producing worthwhile wide-field astro photographs without spending a fortune :)

HTH

You probably already have a camera lens that could be used with your DSLR for wide-field astrophotography. If you have some patience then a simple home made barn-door mount would be a good start (Google 'barndoor astrophotography'). You might also consider a secondhand EQ3 or EQ5 mount with a motor and polarscope. If you already have a good tripod and ball-and-socket head then consider the Astrotrac TT320X-AG, though that would take you a little over your budget.

Some have spent the cost of a family car on imaging kit but don't let anyone tell you that is the only way. You can have a heck of a lot of fun producing worthwhile wide-field astro photographs without spending a fortune :rolleyes:

HTH

I've spent a lot more than the price of my car, that I can promise you! But your post is dead right; think widefield and camera lens at this stage.

Olly

thanks for the advise so far guys. I'm not sure if there is a club in my area + I'm pretty busy (moving house soon and I often work until 9-10 in the evenings).

Where are some good places to buy in the UK?

I was looking through some threads and skywatchers seem to be quite good?

thanks for the advise so far guys. I'm not sure if there is a club in my area

Hi

If you use the "community" link at the top of this page then select "social groups" there is a group called "The South Coast Astronomers". They meet up and observe all around your area.

I'm sure they will provide you with many chances to meet up and try all manor of kit.

Regards Steve

Thanks I will take a look, but like I said I have not really got the time to go and meet up with groups at the moment. If I get any time to even use a telescope it will probably be for a couple of hours a week very late night / early morning.

What sort of scopes should I be looking at, and where should I be looking?

Thanks

Hi there...& welcome to the forum

I'm with Swampy...pop along to a viewing evening with South Coast Astro. or Hants Astro... rather spend £10 on petrol & get the right 'scope for you...than read reviews & blow £300 on the wrong 'scope...

Astronomia in Dorking is a good shop..with 'scopes on show...& good advice from experienced astronomers & A/P experts

From what you say - I'd think you want something light and quick/easy to set up in the back yard. And it's going to be reasonably basic with your budget (though you can get more for your money second hand).

Unfortunately long exposure astro imaging with a dslr isn't going to be possible at this level. But a nice little alt/az tracking mount with a webcam and a bit of processing will give you nice pics of the planets and moon.

You don't sound like you have a lot of time to devote so a "Goto" device will help you see more. A 4"-5" Maksutov on a Goto tracking mount could possibly fit the bill here. Have a look at this one and see what you think:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

It'll give you some smashing views of planets and moon, and will be a good deal better than binocs for looking at some of the brighter deep sky objects. A great intro to the world of astronomy and a sound basis from wich to decide the next step up if you get hooked. Hope that helps :rolleyes:

The best advice is to try to link with a local astronomy group as other members have indicated here. Look through a range of scopes etc and base your decision on what astronomers local to your area say and, of course, your budget. Nothing beats experience and the more you can get without committing yourself the better. There's a wealth of experience out there just waiting to be tapped. The real problems begin when you get hooked!

Archived