Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

good price for my pier

nightfisher

I was at one of the local firms that do jobs for the people i work for, when i realised, they do fabrication work so i asked for a rough price to make me a pier mount, he has steel tube 90mm od 86mm id and would do the two top plates to drawing, plus weld one plate to steel tube................for about £30.........think i should take him up on that, will only have EQ5 head with ota`s up to 6kg:D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tube is only 2mm thick on the wall, depending on the length even taking into account that it's a cylinder you may have some issues with vibration and if there's too much weight you may find that you have a cantelever effect. Most piers I've seen are at least 5mm thick and tapered to spread the load over a wider area.

Hummm - Like most I opted for the plastic pipe and concrete approach. The pipe was 160mm diameter and has a wall thickness of around 4mm. Personally a 2mm thick wall and 90mm diameter won't be sturdy enough, especially if it's not going to be filled with something, and whilst the OTA may only weigh 6KG there is the mount and CW to factor in

right will have to see if he can make it from heavier metal

If you have a look at other fabricated piers the steel is often a lot larger diameter, and often made from 1/4" plate, with braces and a tube of similar wall thickness. - my guess £80 - £100 is more realistic

Steel is reasonably expensive and fabricators usually drop a percentage into the cost. It may pay to pop to your local tat yard and see if you can pick up a thick wall box section and some steel plate. It wouldn't cost much for someone to drop a bit of weld on it to get it looking more like a pier for you.

just a silly idea, as i know very little about pier design, i have a piece of very strong rsj , if i had an Lshape bracket welded to top section, with a hole to bolt mount to, would this worked provided it was concreted in with the L facing north

As long as it's nice n thick n heavy, most anything could work well. I'm a great believer in adapting what you have.

I once made a small but tall pedestal, fully welded with feet out of stuff that was in a scrap bin ! Works perfectly for one of my mounts.

Andy.

think i must have described poorly!

what i had in mind is using RSJ, concreted in but with a very heavy L shape (say 5mm steel) welded to top section of RSJ facing north and bracket having a suitable hole and alignment peg to mount the EQ5 head to, so in theory the eq5 would be offset by about 120mm from stem of RSJ..............if all that makes sense :)

This is what I was thinking. For some reason I thought you planned on moving house at some point so thought the idea of bolt fixing would offer more flexibility over a fixed post. If this isn't the case then doing as you say should work fine. It will pay to add a couple of triangle braces to help support the flat running of the top of the RSJ. The only problem if any may be the risk of catching the RSJ with the OTA due to the off set.

nice one nick, that little diagram really gets the idea, and highlights the possible ota to RSJ clearance!

i have the RSJ, its actually a long piece of [ section, but about 8mm thick and will need cutting down as its near 9ft long.

I will be saving this project till i move house, as just no point in putting a pier in my own garden, to much light pollution and very little horizon, it will be nice to go house shopping and first priority will be rear garden from an astronomers eye

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst wider is always better, 90mm o/d + 5mm thk should be fine, especially if it's your eq-5 that's going on top. After all, the smaller diameter Tal pier is 3" I/D and it's solid as a rock. Mind you it's only approx 3ft high. What are you going for? 5ft?

If I were you I'm make sure the top-plate has a hole, to let you fill it with sand.

I'd also have 3 or 4 triangular pieces of steel(same thickness as the base), welded from the base-plate to tube, for extra rigidity.

Cheers,

Andy.

As for the filling, I'm told that sand and oil is the tasty mix to use. The idea is to damp vibration so I wouldn't use concrete which is extremely rigid. I just used sand in mine and it's fine but I can see that dropping in some old engine oil as well would be better.

I think it's a good idea to trianglate with tripod like legs but make sure they won't tangle with a long OTA because going past the meridian is one of the big plusses of a pier.

Just a thought, but you can buy MIG welders from Machine Mart or second hand from about £150 and I have found mine incredibly useful. It isn't hard to get the hang of it. In hindsight I'd have gone for a slightly bigger one because it would have handled thicker metal. Of course, if you want it to look good maybe use a professional because, as you'll see below, a professional look was rather beyond me!! But it all works and the pier is not the limiting factor when it is windy.

Olly

850633827_iA2is-S.jpg

850633639_j4csS-S.jpg

Are you really really sure you won't want to go for a bigger scope later?

No plans for a bigger scope, in fact i have sold my 200 as it was not right on my eq5! if i go bigger it will be a dob.................unless i win the lotto then a different story

Olly, thats a novel idea for a sturdy mount, looks very solid

Archived