Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skytee 2 Review

jam1e1

Should be getting delivery of one these (along with an ADM Vixen saddle and flexible control cables) by the end of the week :)

I've removed the equatorial bit from my CG-5 mount in anticipation so just have to decide whether to mount the C8 OTA on the top or the side...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The C8 would be better mounted on the side saddle as you won't need any counterweights and it will balance perfectly even without the clutches engaged. If mounted on the top saddle it won't balance properly without a counterweight.

BTW on my modded Skytee 2 I fitted another saddle (hole drilled in centre of saddle to allow fitting of counterweight bar) on the other end so that I now have two end mounted saddles. Just takes drilling a couple of mounting holes on that end.

John

post-14522-133877705449_thumb.jpg

It's arrived! Just waiting for the slow-mo cables and the ADM saddle which should hopefully arrive in today's post...

I'll measure the clearance of the default saddle when I get home tonight to see if it's changed from the review model.

It's a big, heavy beast so should be a rock-solid platform combined with the 2" legged CG-5 it'll soon be attached to :icon_salut:

Once it's all assembled I'll post a picture or two in the 'Pictures of your set up' thread.

I'll sort out a photo later. The end has three grub screws around the edge. Unscrew those a bit and the end simply unscrews. The trickiest part is getting the two new holes aligned correctly with the ones on the other side of the mount. I used a digital angle gauge to get the saddle on the other side absolutely level and then used it again on the new saddle as I held it in place and marked the position of the holes to be drilled before unscrewing the end. The grub screws on the end allow adjustment to get it all level after you've screwed it back on.

One thing I would do differently if I was doing it again would be to not drill a hole in the middle of the saddle to allow fitting of the original counterweight shaft but to get a new counterweight shaft that fits into a Vixen type saddle.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3898_TS-Prismenschiene-mit-Gegengewichtsstange---Gewichtsausgleich.html

John

post-14522-133877706081_thumb.jpg

cheers John - You have some healthy crops in greenhouse for this time of year!

One other Mod im thinking about is working out how to implement a 10-20mm mini extension pier between EQ5 tripod and ST2 head - the 250pds clashes with legs around zenith which is frustrating at times. Your wedge looks like one sort of option - although would need to be a block as opposed to wedge! The standard available EQ5 extension pier at 40mm would add to much height for a newt at zenith

I wasn't that long ago that I took that photo really. Things have changed a bit weather-wise haven't they. :icon_salut:

It's too bad they don't do an 8" high extension like the one for the EQ6. Shortening the EQ5/HEQ5 extension would be a very expensive way to get a short extension. :)

Orion Optics UK could probably do a short extension, but not sure about the cost.

John

Couple more questions...

1. How far along the Vixen rail do you attach it to the saddle/mount? About halfway? It's attached around 2/3rds of the way from the front of the OTA on my Equatorial mount.

2. Is it easy to fit the Skywatcher Flexible Slo-Mo controls to the SkyTee 2?

Cheers! :icon_salut:

Couple more questions...

1. How far along the Vixen rail do you attach it to the saddle/mount? About halfway? It's attached around 2/3rds of the way from the front of the OTA on my Equatorial mount.

2. Is it easy to fit the Skywatcher Flexible Slo-Mo controls to the SkyTee 2?

Cheers! :icon_salut:

1. Wherever the OTA balances, which should be about the same as with the EQ mount.

2. Dead easy. Just remove one of the knobs (two grub screws) and put the slow-mo cable in position and tighten the little thumbscrew.

John

• 4 months later...
Wow - what a mod? I have the bog standard version of the SkyTee-2. Did you mod it for motors too or is that an available version of the mount? Thanks James

SkyWatcher never intended for the Skytee 2 to be motorised, however I like "tinkering" with equipment. :(

John

• 2 weeks later...

I can tune your guitar, fix your bicycle, and install your computer, But when I start drilling holes - well - that's how the channel tunnel got started :-)

I love my skytee 2. It got masses of attention at kelling... Everyone seemed to want one. The pst and white light when sunny then at night with the mak newt both with a 127 on the second saddle. I have mine with adm saddles a cg5 tripod and a heq5 extention. Tripod is used at min height.

:-) i love it but its turned into an expensive mount at around 600 for all that

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

I'm coming rather late to this thread (about 18 months!), but if it re-surfaces, I'd be interested in more comments about it the force it takes to move the 120ED:

I get the impression the SkyTee is somewhat stiff with the 120ED?  

Is it worse in the cold?  Could this be due in part to the dreaded "Synta grease" that can be replaced with smoother acting grease?

Hello dvb and welcome to SGL I understand its a bit cold in Canada at the moment.

I have a Skytee 2 mount which I bought a few months ago. I had previously used the SkyTee original mount which I still have.

My SkyTee mount has the standard 1.75" legs plus an extension pillar which makes it very stable.

During sunny days I have my Astro Tech f6.95 APO frac on one side and the PST on the other. No problems moving it at all. At night I have a mixture of the Astro Tech frac, Skywatcher 150 PDS f5 Newt or the Skywatcher 180mm Mak/Cass - again no problem. In fact if the balance is perfect especially using the 6" Newt I don't need to use the slow motion controls.

What I would recommend is buying better saddles, the supplied ones are not very secure. I have also bought long slow motion cables which I think improves things although some will say they are not necessary.

All in all very satisfied with the mount

What I would recommend is buying better saddles, the supplied ones are not very secure. I have also bought long slow motion cables which I think improves things although some will say they are not necessary.

Having also owned a Skytee 2 for a while I'd agree 100% with Mark's recommendations here although I found that I did not use the slow motion controls much and treated the Skytee 2 rather like a Giro mount. The dovetail saddles really should be upgraded though.

Thank you very much for your replies .  Unfortunately, I've just heard back from FLO today that they don't ship these to Canada.  I'm pretty sure my local Skywatcher dealer won't be able to get one for me either, but I will check. 

Canadian Telescopes used to sell a clone of this called the "Duo-T", but they seem to have discontinued this, too.  

Ah, well . . . probably and Explore Scientific Twilght II will serve, unless I consider a Giro/ Ercole type mount, or decide to take the next step up in price range. 

Clear skies to all, 

David

(In Vancouver, British Columbia)

Turns out I've had some good luck - Canadian Telescopes had one of their "Duo-T" versions of the Sky-Tee II in left in their store-room - slightly distressed, but functionally fine, for equivalent of 86 GBP ($150.00 CAN), net of tax.

So, I've now ordered two ADM plates through Canadian Telescopes, and I should be on my way!

Turns out I've had some good luck - Canadian Telescopes had one of their "Duo-T" versions of the Sky-Tee II in left in their store-room - slightly distressed, but functionally fine, for equivalent of 86 GBP ($150.00 CAN), net of tax.

So, I've now ordered two ADM plates through Canadian Telescopes, and I should be on my way!

Sounds good David. When it arrives and set up you must post some photos and give a quick review.

• 11 months later...

Archived