Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Attempt at Jupiter

Steve 1962

After a few moon shots on Sunday evening, Jupiter had come up out of the murk and this is the result of 150/1000 frames using a QHY5v through a C9.25, Televue 3x Barlow and an NIR 742nm filter.

Processed in Avistack 2, then Richardson Lucy de-thing-a-me-jigged in Pixinsight and final curves etc. in Photoshop.

steve-1962-albums-jupiter-picture12844-jupiter-150811-0217utc-taken-c9-25-qhy5v-tv-3x-barlow-astronomik-742nm-nir-pass-filter.jpg

I can't work out whether the moon is Io or Europa (or just a star) - does anyone know? ( This was timed at 0317BST which I suppose is 0217UTC)

The best I could get from the QHY was 10fps, so I was quite surprised (and pleased) with the result.

I've been quite badly bitten by the lunar / planetary bug, so any comments or suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

I think it is Europa Not positive though havent checked.

From what i can tell i dont think you will be able to improve significantly from this. unless you use a dedicated planetary camera. Thats not to say you wont get better shots this year. what i mean is. if you wanted to go further you probably would have to increase image scale and have many more frames. and work at the changing seeing conditions with what ive suggested. If you have no plans to do that, then you should feel pleased. its one of the better C9.25 shots ive seen from this country. Not bad considering 10 fps. cant really advise more than that, unless i know more. This is about f30 then, what focal length is that ? 7800mm roughly, cant remember the focal length of the Celestron. But your scope can perform as well as my 245mm newt no question, its just a case of forcing it to do so Steve

Thanks for you comments Neil and Stuart - much appreciated

The focal length of the C9.25 is 2350mm so for the 3x focal length is approx 7050mm.

Neil - in terms of image scale do you mean adding more "magnification" presumably using something like a 5x powermate or ganging up barlows?

Thanks again

Steve

Yes Steve under good seeing and with good collimation, i reckon you can push a C9,25. up to the 10 meter mark. but of course thats only part of the picture, as i mentioned doing that well. with a fast planetary camera is the other half of the quality tree. as i mentioned it all depends how far you would like to push your equipment. but having 1000 £ scope without the camera to back it up, is a bit like a sports car with only average tyres. the scope is quality, it needs the best to give its best, is what i think

is a bit like a sports car with only average tyres

Thanks Neil - that makes sense. I'm getting one of the 618 chipped mono IS DMK cameras when FLO get more stock so that's one half of the tree....now also looking for a 5x Powermate - I think that'll take me up to about 11.5m. :) (or is it not a simple as that?? - (sorry to ask so many questions))

Thanks again for your help - it's much appreciated:)

Steve

It might not be as simple as that, as the imaging source say the the 5x powermate is 5x visual, imaging it comes out closer to 7.7x space cowboy says with hes camera i assume a spc 900, it was more like 6x imaging. but you get the point im at f6.3 1600mm focal length your at f10 and considerably higher. you may be over powering the C9.25 Steve. im not sure but i reckon you will be/ each location is different, and collimation precision, it will all factor, how far you can push the scope. the mount and drive too. it might be worth you experimenting with 4 and 5x barlows Antares are good cheap options i liked my 5x, sell them on and get a TV once you know your magic numbers. a quality barlow over powered can be pretty useless for the most part you see. regardless it has a TV badge. But i can tell if you make changes your going to be good. for some reason ive never been able to figure out, be it scope quality differences, location quality differences. collimation precision differences. skill of the imager ( both in capture and processing skill ) what Damien peach could do with a C.9.25 and a newbie is often light years apart. and these are possibly some of the reasons i see exactly this on forums worldwide. the good news is. i think you have the touch. location. great scope whatever. I think you have it. so hey im going to be watching what you achieve could be interesting Steve. i think your doing the right thing. Thinking about equipment changes if you want to go foward its the only way hope this is helping

i think you have the touch

:)

Crikey Neil - thanks very much for such positive comments - that's all really encouraging. I'm all fired up now and will certainly keep you posted on progress.:D

Off to check out Antaires 4x's now.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve - nice iR742nM image you captured..!:):D

Using extension tubes is the way to go for increasing image scale, here's the link http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3_Page.asp?id=52&Tab=_dev#MagChart - folks make extension tubes out of everything from plastic piping to removing the lens element from a cheap barlow to purchasing a specific component.....mono imagers rely on the distance between the barlow and the camera as the extension tube for image scale increases.....this is created by the filter wheel etc between the barlow & camera.

Looking at the new TeleVue webpage on the link above they seem to have downgraded the graphs section, but if you hunt around you should also be able to find the powermate graphs also.....though the 5x powermate might be pushing things a bit at its full capabilities (7.7x with a 100mm of extension tube.)

Up to 5x can be obtained from a 3x barlow with 100mm extension tube.....and there is one exception to the rule with the 2.5x p/mate (I think this is the one.....I only have the 5x p/mate and a 2x and 3x TV barlow) where using extension tubing decreases the image scale.....

For ascertaining which Galilean moon you are viewing or the positions for them at any time (or where the GRS is) go to this site http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/#telecharger and download the program to keep on you desktop for quick and handy referencing.....:(

Yes Darryl is right i forgot to talk about extention tubes, i use them all the time its a cheaper way of achieving more mag. though i dont like the often long overhang they produce on my newtonian focusser, with the weight of the IS cameras, collimation can bend slightly, so i prefer straight powers if money isnt tight. but thats for newtonians SCTs will likely handle that problem better , so worth trying what Darryl suggested. thanks for chipping in Darryl i should have mentioned this apologies Steve

Archived