NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've just seen Jupiter AND Uranus for the first time!

Dodge

I'm sure all you seasoned observers have done this a thousand times, but I'm rather delighted with what I've just seen!

Thought I'd have an early night, but couldn't sleep as the moon is very bright through my window, so I thought I'd drag my SW Heritage 130P out.

Had a quick gander at Stellarium to see what else I was likely to see, and saw that Uranus was not far away from the moon, but sadly my wait for Jupiter was set to continue as it was still too low to see past my neighbours houses.

I spent about 25 mins looking at the moon, which looks especially fabulous right now particularly around the terminator but thought I'd have a look at Uranus. It was rather unremarkable as I expected - no obvious colour, but I'm sure it was the planet.

I had a little look to see if I could see the big planet, and just peeping over the top of my neighbours roof was something bright and shiny - could it be it?

No. It turned out to be something in Aries! :)

Anyway, I was just thinking about packing down and I wandered to the end of my garden and as luck would have it, between two of my neighbours houses and there it was. I managed to pop the 130P on my garden table and swung it around.

Gobsmacked was a word I used when I first saw Saturn but Jupiter has got to be the most amazing thing I've seen in a telescope. I was bright and clear - could see 4 moons and hints of banding at low power, at high power it was even more amazing. Clear banding on the planet - absolutely amazing. With the high power and my 2 x Barlow I couldn't get it to focus, probably due to the seeing. It's still very low to the horizon.

Anyway, thought I'd share my joy! Happy viewing everyone.

Fantastic for you! I have yet to see any planets and cannot wait to gather enough information to actually buy a Telescope lol! Thank you for sharing this moment and I am sure I will feel the same as you have.

Enjoy :)

I am looking forward to trying to find Uranus and Neptune whether I can manage this with an 8" telescope remains to be seen.

Uranus was discovered with a scope about 6" in diameter as I recall from my visit to the Herschel house in Bath, and I have seen both Uranus and Neptune with my Celestron C8, so you should be fine. Don't expect any detail: just some little disks a curious blue-green colour.

Now is a real opportunity to have a look at the outermost planets, I had a look at all 3 only a week ago, Neptune was unmistakable due to its distinctive blueish hue although very small, I spent some time observing it but found the most pleasing view was at 180x, CPC 925 and 13mm Televue Nagler, next I moved on to Uranus, it appeared to project a greenish tone to me and was significantly larger then Neptune but still relatively small all the same.

Jupiter was of course a much more pleasing sight to the eye and with its satellites two either side of the giant made for a spectacular view! :rolleyes:

Hope you guys mange to see all 3 in the weeks ahead. :)

This is something I'm looking forward to as well :) At present I have just a 130mm f5 Newt but I'm planning to buy a Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS when funds permit. I'm currently buying the bits for a self build observatory and warm room. I have a concrete pier with NEQ6 Pro mount which should provide a nice stable platform.

This is something I'm looking forward to as well :( At present I have just a 130mm f5 Newt but I'm planning to buy a Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS when funds permit. I'm currently buying the bits for a self build observatory and warm room. I have a concrete pier with NEQ6 Pro mount which should provide a nice stable platform.

Sounds like a very good start :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just the way I felt when I saw Jupiter for the first time earlier this year, but it's much warmer at the moment :)

I've got the same problem with neighbours houses being in the way. It's worth the wait up though, because it's looking even better this autumn.

I'm jealous about Uranus, took a look last week, but the harvest moon was a little ferocious.

Archived