Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed with GOTO Mount problem

Hedgerow

I have a Celestron C6-NGT using the Advanced Series GOTO mount.

Last night it suddenly decided to declare independence and do its own thing. :smiley:

During the usual two-star set up ( or indeed any set up procedure) it will suddenly start the RA motor running continuously and can only be stopped by switching off the power.

I tried it again today using the set up procedure using the Sun. It either starts the RA motor running again before you can select the setup object(s) or it will try to line up on the object but in doing so drives the rotating head into the base of the mount (I am trying this without the telescope on board).

Once the RA motor starts up (usually while waiting for an option to be selcetd on the hand set, disconnecting the handset has no effect.. the motor just keeps on going and going.

Does any one have any idea what is wrong and if so, how to fix it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

If it comes to it is there anywhere in theUK I might get it repaired?

Thanks for all advice,

Peter. :)

Hello Peter.

Sounds like a classic case of power problem, if you are using batteries, once they get low the mount goes berserk. Try a mains to 12v dc adaptor or a new set of batteries before considering further investigation.

It must have been the night for them to go awol.

I tried to do a mosaic with mine using the EQMOD program and it went beserk.

Stupid thing just kept going round and round not much fun with an 8 inch newt on the top.

The only way to stop it was as you did and shut the power off and mine is running on mains supply.

To cure it I had to shut the computer down reboot it and start over again.

Maybe the dob users all said a prayer last night and it worked lol.

Hi Peter,

I agree with Mr. Drew about the power. The CG5 Mount is notorious for power issues. If you are using anything other than the required 2.5 amp power source, the mount will start acting up. My mount would constantly reset before I purchased a Celestron AC adaptor.

Another possibility could be your initial setup. Make sure you are not programmed for the Southern Hemisphere, your mount will attempt to point down instead of up, causing major issues. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your advice. I use a 17ah power pack which I think had plenty of charge, however, I've put on charge overnight and will test out my mount with it tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Peter

i agree with whats already said about the power supply, battery must be well charged, my old mount would go nuts,

if you havnt used the power tank for a while, it will have lost some of its charge,

hope it works out

Well Gentlemen,

No luck I am afraid. Even with a fully charged power pack the same problems persist ie the RA motor starting up before I can even select an alignment target and it just keeps on going until the power is cut. Even if I get to alignment the RA motor will suddenly cut in and start up without any keys on the handset being touched.

If anyone can suggest anything else I can try I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Peter

OK having tried everything including updating the software for the hand controller and the two motors all without curing the problem. I contacted David Hinds from whom the scope was bought, but they do not want to know since they no longer deal with the public. I took it into Green Witch yesterday a round trip of 120 miles passing David Hinds in thr first few miles How galling! I'll let you know how I get on.

On my GOTONOVA Kit i had the same situation when trying it out on daylight with the cover removed.

It was the sunlight that caused it by iluminating the sensor near the encoder wheel with light. at least that what it seemed at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

After 3 weeks and two phone calls Lee at Green Witch has confirmed it is not a power supply problem. I had proved that before I took the mount in. It is now going to Davud Hinds for examination. So the saga continues........

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my C6-NGT. It would act as if it was going to slew to the location of choice then continue on and end up trying to dig a hole in the ground. I am glad it could not reach that far.

I tried resetting the location, not sure of what i was doing, with no joy.

Reset it to factory defaults, it came up and asked for location, what I had tried to do before and had the wrong location, it then took the new load.

Of course clouds moved in before I could get to check it again. Will try again in a few months.

Interested to know what they find.

Good luck

John

Taking this saga further. I have received a number of calls from Lee at Green Witch to update me on progress with my CG5 mount. It is now with David Hinds and Lee is doing his best to find out just what is happening. We are hopeful of news of progress soon, but nothing for a few days now. I wait with hope that it will all be sorted out soon without costing a fortune!

Next update: I received an email from Lee apologising for not contacting me over the last two days. the poor guy is rushed off his feet being in the middle of a house move and, I understand, setting up a new shop up north. He still finds time to keep me appraised of progress in the repair of my mount. (That's good service). It is now with David Hinds, but their engineer is currently away until Monday of next week. When he returnes, my mount is marked as a priority. So now I wait until next week to see what happens next. It would be great to have it back soon ready for a planned visit to the dark skies of Upper Teesdale!

Well folks..the news is bad. Lee from Green Witch tells me that the engineer at David Hinds has replaced both boards without solving the problem entirely. He says the drives need replacing but the current ones are a larger size than my 2007 variety. The advice is that the cost of repair is not worthwhile. I'd be better off buying a new mount! Sadly my pennies don't run to that. It looks like I'll be going to the Salisbury star party without a scope. I'll cry myself to sleep sob, sob.

Any way thanks to everyone who made suggestions about the problem and for taking an interest.

Cheers guys,

Peter

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your commiserations.

The scope is nearly 5 years old although I bought it second hand from the original purchaser early this year.

As to whether it continued in runaway mode following the disconnection of the handset, yes it did. removing the handset would not stop it. Only removing the power supply would stop it slewing.

I had hoped to buy a new head without tripod, counterweight bar, counterweights etc. because clearly I already have them! However, Celestron will only supply the whole mount which is very pricey. I guess I'll have to watch out for a decent second hand one.

Peter

Chris,

I do not know specifically what diagnostics were used. I know both boards in the mount were replaced and the drive train required replacement, though I am not sure why/ Apparently there was a white powder/residue which is thought to be from the bushes and apparently may suggest the power supply being at too higher voltage. I only used a power tank but cannot say what the previous owner used.

Peter

Archived