NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flange size of a crayford to fit a Celestron ED100

Hi All. Thinking of adding a Crayford focusser to my ED100. Can anyone confirm a flange size that will allow this fitment. Will a 96 mm flange fit directly to the OTA once th stock focusser is removed ? Seen this a few times on SGL.

Ive read a fitting ring is sometimes needed - Agena astro ??

Are there any Crayfords that are a direct replacement for the stock focusser.

Many thx in advance John

Hi All. Thinking of adding a Crayford focusser to my ED100. Can anyone confirm a flange size that will allow this fitment. Will a 96 mm flange fit directly to the OTA once th stock focusser is removed ? Seen this a few times on SGL.

Ive read a fitting ring is sometimes needed - Agena astro ??

Are there any Crayfords that are a direct replacement for the stock focusser.

Many thx in advance John

The only crayford i am aware of that could be a direct replacement is a moonlite with a C100ED flange if you have the readies!

Otherwise you will need an agena astro adapter as the Celestron uses an odd thread-on arrangement instead of the standard three bolts at 180deg.

Any 86mm focuser should then attach to the adapter.

Stephen

Hi John.

A very worthwhile upgrade, I've done it myself.

Check which type of scope you have, ie some have a screw thread (mine has) but some have the more normal 3 equi-spaced screw fastening. I believe it depends on the year of manufacture.

Tom

You'll need an 86mm focuser to fit the Agena adaptor. Unfortunately the 86mm flanged focusers are not so common now.

However you can get a Baader 86mm flange that will fit most crayfords. So it would be any replacement refractor crayford + Baader flange + Agena C100ED adaptor. The Baader flange where it fits into the focuser body can be slightly too big with some focusers but that "dovetail" can be sanded down slightly if needed as that bit is hidden from view when the flange is fitted anyway.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p770_Adapter-fuer-den-2--Steeltrack-Refraktor-Auszug---auf-90mm.html

Here's a photo of a Skywatcher crayford with the Baader flange that I sold and a photo of it fitted to another SGL members C100ED

John

Dam I didn't realize there was so much involved ;) Sorry John for my lack of information. I wasn't aware there was a flange AND an adapter needed :rolleyes: Explains why the C100ED sell for so much less than the SW ED100. The C100ED dose look nice with the DS focuser on though.

I recently upgraded the focuser on my C80ED with a baader steeltrack using the agena astro adapter + the baader 86mm flange adapter and it really does turn the scope into a great bit of kit. Highly recommended upgrade over the stock focuser

Jake

Thanks again for the info people. A Moonlite is outta budget for sure. If its worth more than my scope I get to thinkin its a " chicken B4 the Egg" situation.

Looks like Johns notes seem the way to go. SW crayford - Baader adaptor - agena fitting ring.

I do have an option on a crayford with a 96mm flange and it seems to connect via the " three screw " option. See photo. I have looked at my scope as suggested and there is no sign of the three screws. Presume a thread is located inside the OTA.

Would this focuser fit

1. - on its own ( may need to drill holes to mate the two ) Not good.

OR

will it fit with the Agena fitting ring.

Questions Questions. !!!! John

post-15527-133877642561_thumb.jpg

Buy the Agena Astro Adaptor, there should be a guide on their website what flange size what fits your scope.

Agena AstroProducts Crayford Focuser Adapter for Celestron C100ED Refractor

Then buy one of these:

MONORAIL 2' Refraktor Auszug u.a. f. Skywatcher - Anschluss 86mm

You might get stung on the customs for the adaptor, but not much. The focuser coming from germany is no customs to pay, or ask Bern from Modern Astronomy if he has got the monorails in stock still for your scope size.

You could buy the whole lot from the USA but your going to be paying around £40.00 in customs on top of the order when it arrives at the parcel force depot.

Nadeem

That's one of the SkyWatcher Pro refractor crayfords and the flange is cast in one piece with the focuser body. No way to use the Baader flange or the Agean adaptor either.. :rolleyes:

Telescope Service does the GSO dual speed crayford with the 86mm flange, but it works out to about £140.00 shipped.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p775_2--Crayford-Auszug-fuer-Refraktoren---1-10-Micro-Untersetzung.html

You know someone needs to bring out a threaded flange that would just screw onto the C100 tube and then just fit any standard crayford focuser body. ;)

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Update re the addition of a SW Dual Speed Crayford to my ED100R. All Done. Looks fab and sure will work in a similar fashion.

Really big thanks goes out to Tom - Odd Thomas who I purchased the adaptor from and who kindly supplied it with full hand written instructions plus a few e mails for Mr Dumb - aka me.

Couple of pictures. Just waitin now for a cloud break.

John

post-15527-13387764781_thumb.jpg

post-15527-133877647817_thumb.jpg

post-15527-133877647824_thumb.jpg

post-15527-133877647831_thumb.jpg

Archived