Retailer response time?

ollypenrice

Could I ask you what you would consider to be a reasonbable time to wait for email replies from a retailer in respect of defective goods?

The Dutch outfit Robtics seem to feel that weeks or months are reasonable response times and I am guilty of finding this a little slow.

Olly

Could I ask you what you would consider to be a reasonbable time to wait for email replies from a retailer in respect of defective goods?

The Dutch outfit Robtics seem to feel that weeks or months are reasonable response times and I am guilty of finding this a little slow.

Olly

I would expect a reply the same day , We live in a world of instant communication by phone, Fax , Email ,Text so weeks or months show a lack of respect to your need

Perhaps they are hopping you will give up and disappear... A bit like Skywatcher and the case of the dodgy guideports on the EQ3-pro :):rolleyes::eek:... although thats more of a dsitributor/Skywatcher issue rather than the supplier (FLO) although not hearing anything from months on end does become "discouragiung"...

I agree with the general consensus.

If I were running my own business I would do the following:

• set up an auto reply to confirm safe receipt of the email and confirm that a personal response (even if only a holding email) will be sent within one or possibly two full business days (by this I mean Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
  • respond as above within 1-2 business days and either provide an answer or confirm a deadline for an answer / update.
  • maintain regular contact by the deadlines and providing further deadlines if required (if e.g. you have been provided a deadline by the manufacturer).
  • if a suitable answer cannot be provided within say a week, then discuss further with the customer and consider whether or not a return/refund is appropriate.

What really winds me up is people not providing updates when they say they will, even if it's only to say no news currently but we'll get back to you by X date.

Hope you get sorted whatever it is Olly.

Not everyone is as "up" on email as us brits. If they haven't responded (even to say "we got your message, we're working on it") within a couple of business days they need calling. It's not as convenient but they can't ignore the phone - it might be their mum!

Thanks all, I feel as you do. 48 hours max.

What the owner of Robtics has done (without my permission, which I would not have granted) is ask one of my guests to look at the mount on a forthcoming visit. Obviously this puts my guest, who is supposed to be on holiday, in the position of middleman in a dispute. I am livid about this and will not be told who looks at my mount or have my guests brought into it. I have made this clear to Lefeber. We may (or may not!) all be friends but basic professionalism still applies.

Olly

Auto reply email within half an hour.

Shipping notice within two days.

If I haven't heard anything after 48 hours, I get on the blower.

98% of the stuff I order from the web seem to have that two day window.

In response to an email query - next working day or I go elsewhere

In response to an email complaint - a couple of hours or defective goods start being posted back to the supplier and the credit card payment cancelled. I'm very tolerant IF a supplier is honest with me, if they ignore me then they lose out.

Archived