NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6726 - ST8300M & POWERNEWT under Southern Skies

Boren

Hi guys,

It took me some time to recuperate from our venture into the (COLD…. !!!) Namibian desert, which could only be balanced off by a week under the Rhodes sun, at 39 Centigrade :); Indeed, the -15 C long Namibian nights were averaged out, and I feel like a human being again … I will of course share all the adventures with you, after I'd put them all together.

I started processing the treasure-trove of data, with the image I had shot first (i.e. FIFO) – an object comprising starlit skies, dark nebula, bright dust, a sprawling reflection nebula – with a tight globular as a bonus: NGC 6726-7 in Corona Australis.

The ST8300M and POWERNEWT pair performed very well together (though the SBIG's shutter stuck on me more often than not, perhaps due to the deep cold). I was amazed at how the POWERNEWT's Carbon Fiber tube fought away any focus changes due to the extreme temp. changes (running between ~10C at a night's beginning, down to a -10C to-15C at around midnight). It's an ability which I don't really get to enjoy in the Israeli desert where zero centigrade is as cold as it gets in winter, and during summer temperatures will hit 22 degrees centigrade before bouncing back just before dawn.

I must note (with much admiration and gratitude) that – in my case too - SBIG's renowned customer service has performed effectively and flawlessly, with the solid support of OPTs! A working camera will be received tomorrow (the UPS guy had already left a VM on my mobile) – replacing the one that had shutter problems as above.

So, after all these words, here's the object:

http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/136640929/original

I sized the image to fit a 16" laptop's screen – I hope it makes viewing more comfortable.

Any comments are, as always, very, very welcome.

Cheers,

Harel

post-20443-133877638292_thumb.jpg

Absolutly Beautiful, thats a really nice combination of star colours a f2.8 power newt eh !

Quite reasonable price of the scope considering the results you get, i think i'll put the scope on my list...

Nadeem.,

Absolutely beautiful Harel. Great colour and a fine composition.

I'm on a very slow net connection at the moment, and can only view the thumbnail, but am looking forward to seeing the full size image.

Cheers

Rob

Absolutly Beautiful, thats a really nice combination of star colours a f2.8 power newt eh !

Quite reasonable price of the scope considering the results you get, i think i'll put the scope on my list...

Nadeem.,

Guys,

First of all, my apologies for taking 2 days to respond - I was traveling unexpectadly, and returned only 2am last night :)

Many thanks to you all, I am really happy that I am able to share a little of this very special travel experience, and the magnificance of southern skies with it...

Beyond f2/8 the Powernewt was designed to accomodate observers who have little imageing time (due to need to travel once or twice a month, or due to very short nights, etc.) and want to nonetheless gather enough photons to make a good result. It was very useful in the Namibian travel, since 3 hours could give me an amount of data which would otherwise be collected over a full night (fast system) or even 2 or 3 nights (with a slow system).

We priced it the way we have, since we think that one's ability to deliver super images shouldn't rely on one's ability to pay super prices :eek:

Cheers,

Harel

Nadeem.,

Thanks Nadeem! I am very happy you liked it!

As for the scope - you can find more informaiton on www.powernewts.com, and images - including edge to edge close up images, on www.pbase.com/powernewts and also on my own site of course, www.pbase.com/boren.

It was priced so as to enable delivering super-images without a super-bank-account in mind :eek:

Cheers,

Harel :)

You're so darned good at these objects, Harel! I had a go at an LDN recently at a not too slow F3.9 and I am even more full of respect for your dark nebulae...

They are not easy.

Really great.

Olly

Thanks Peter, Olly! I am happy you liked it :)

Olly, I can't wait to meet you this coming autumn, when visiting Provence! It will be a treat, and I plan to come with my three boys too (the little lady will stay with my wife, lacking any interest in astronomy, whatsoever :-))

Cheers,

Harel

Once again superb Harel! The colours are so good and subtle too.

Just out of interest, what causes the 'double' diffraction spikes?

Jordan

Thanks R Fischer, Jordan,

One of the local guys has asked this question, about the double spikes, and after some research has returned with the answer: it's a double star, causing the double spikes... :)

Cheers,

Harel

Gorgeous Boren! These dark nebula are really fascinating, love the reflection parts of it too!

TJ, Looking up,

Thank you! I am very pleased you liked it.

I was also fond of the richness of the scene, dominated by the fluffy reflection nebulae.

Very pleased to have the Masters appreciate it with me!

Cheers, :)

Harel

Archived