Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 12" Dob ?

I'm in the lucky position to be able to buy a new scope. As my interest is turning to DSO's, visual only no imaging, my funds would run to a 12" solid tube Dob.

The Skywatcher 300p was just in the budget but a call to Rother Valley Optics and FLO revealed this scope was not available with no info on whether it would be available in the future. ;)

I quite like the look of the GSO 12" available from teleskop express in Germany. The spec looks better than the Skywatcher and only a bit more expensive depending on exchange rates and 40 euro delivery. I'm a bit nervous about buying from abroad and from a company I've not dealt with before on such a high value ( to me ) item. :)

The question is this : Do I just go for the GSO or ring round UK dealers in the hope of finding a 300p in stock ( and pay more than at FLO or RVO ) or do I get a 10" Dob with the danger of wondering about what might have been ? :)

Any advice on Teleskop express, GSO 12" or whether to get a 10" instead would be appreciated. :(

Being in the US, I am not familiar with your particular distribution issues or what is available to you in the UK.... I started out with a 10" solid tube Dob from Orion, I loved that scope. Then, about a year ago, I won a 12" truss tube Dob from them in a photo contest. I was really surprised at the difference the 2" of aperature made. The 12" scope is simply amazing....also, I would never buy another solid tube Dob again. Even though (in total) it weighs about 30 lbs (sorry, you know about us colonists and the metric system.....) more than the 10", however, it is 100 times easier to tote around. Setup takes about 5 minutes longer, but i can have my baby setup and ready for action in less than 10 min, including collimation.

Luv my 12" truss tube Dob, yes indeedy.

Joe

I can see a truss tube Dob would be more practical but the price difference puts one out of budget.

I know a lot of people would love to be able to get a 10" scope but to have a 12" in budget and not get one would niggle at me.

You colonists are doing a good job keeping the imperial measurements alive ;-). It's a joke here when petrol is sold in litres but every one still thinks in miles per gallon.

Hi

IMO which scope to buy comes down to:

If you think it will be your last big scope. Get the 12" the views are better and if your not going bigger that's all that counts.

If you think one day you will get a bigger scope. Then the 10" is a better option. It makes a great second grab n go ( trust me I know ) for times when a big scope isn't practical.

I reckon the 10" is the perfect second scope, big enough to see plenty, but small enough to be ready to go at the drop of a hat without a workout.

A 12" is a bit more of a commitment to haul out and set up, but worth it. The views are great with this size scope.

Put another way you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck with your choice

Regards Steve

Thanks Steve, I'm keeping my 150p so I'll have a scope that I can take wherever and the big scope can stay at home.

I'll will probably never be satisfied, are there any pills available for aperture fever ?

The 10" Skywatcher is almost 2/3rds the price of a 12" which is tempting unless someone can say whether the GSO is a good buy.

Thanks Steve, I'm keeping my 150p so I'll have a scope that I can take wherever and the big scope can stay at home.

Sorry.

By grab n go I meant for quick sessions.

I never observe at home so my grab n go is for week nights and those near the full moon.

This is the scope I would use in my garden at home if I Could.

The big scope is the one you take to dark skies for all nighters.

My terminology is back to front sorry! :)

No point in going to the blackest skies around and using a little scope when you've a large scope at home.

Regards Steve

No worries, we all tend to assume others are in the same situation as ourselves.

I'm lucky to have reasonably dark skies at home although the Southern view is partially blocked by trees.

I got a solid tube 10" and love it. I have looked through a friends solid tube 12" from a similar suburban garden and the difference was not so great to my eyes. There is no way I could I cope with a solid 12" (too big) but didn't want to pay the extra £400 for a flex tube 12". I have grand plans for 16"+ Dob in a few years time so I took the same view as Steve. 10" is just right for most nights observing at home and then have a monster to wheel out for special occasions.

Edit: If you skies are dark, the 12" would give you more of a noticeable benefit than I saw with my mag 4.5.

Is the 12" scope just within budget? if so-dont forget the extras that will be needed with it-Mainly EPs the 12" will more than likely be less forgiving of cheaper EPs and you will deffinatly want to get a few decent ones.

The 12" I'm looking at is this : GSO Dobson 980 - 300/1500mm Teleskop - Deluxe Version which I'm assumming is an update on the Revelation scopes. Basically I'm choosing between this an unknown ( to me ) supplier and scope and a Skywatcher 250px a brand I know, from a trusted supplier.

I take your point Madhatter, but Ep's can be added as and when funds allow. Friends with good eyepiece cases ( Alan :) ) might soon be getting an invite round to try the scope :) just to see what works best.

Portability not really an issue.

Descision made, bank balance checked, and it's going to be the Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube Dobsonian.

It had to be 12" and the lack of availability of the solid tube made the descision for me.

Thanks for everyone's input - watch this space for updates

Congratulations.

A 12" scope is a wonderful deep sky tool that will give you a lifetime of observing.

Lets all hope this flaming cloud disappears for a while so we can all get some observing done this summer.:)

Regards Steve

ps You do know you'll soon want some new eyepieces to go with your awesome new scope don't ya?......:)

I don't have much experince, but I'd go for the biggest that I could move alone & take to a dark location on my own.

A friend has a 16" solid tube dob - & it is great, but it really is a two man job to shift it.

I've used a 10" & think I could comfortably shift the next size up.

I started reading all the responses from the top of this post & I was thinking SW 12" flexitube all the time as I was reading through.....if I were getting a dob, it is the one I'd go for I think.......so it was great to get to the end & see you decide on the 12" flexi!

It's a combination of work bonus, birthday money and some rare over-time that's enabled me to go for the 12" flextube. The price jump to 14"+ is a big step too far, but getting a 10" when I could have a 12" would have left me wondering how much more would I have seen ? ( even if it was nothing lol )

Excellent decision tbird. I have an 8'' and hope to upgrade to a 12'' by the end of the year. Aperture fever is a terrible illness and i am really ill with it at the moment :)

If you have an 8" and are looking to upgrade, definitely go for 12" rather than 10" to get the 'wow' if your observing site / skies will allow it.

12" solid tube going on flebay at minute....

If it's the one I'd been watching, check the feedback, you'll see how much the vendor paid for it ( and they're using the original photos ! )

• 9 months later...
You colonists are doing a good job keeping the imperial measurements alive ;-). It's a joke here when petrol is sold in litres but every one still thinks in miles per gallon.
Except that the colonials use a gallon that isn't as big as the imperial one!

Archived