Alexander Observatories

It is however reassuring that Nick still advertises on S@N. He told me it costs him a lot of money each month to pay for the ad. I assume that if things had gone pear shaped the ad would no longer appear or at least disappear after a month or so.

Ron

Adverts are often bought in "series" or for longer timescales at a reduced cost to give the publication guaranteed income so I am afraid that this does not necessarily mean that all is well...

Hope is it though, for all concerned!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regards emails, looks like Nick isn't using his computer. An email I sent him Monday still hasn't returned a delivery notification.

If I haven't managed to make contact before next Monday I think I will go and try to find him next week. I'm trying to avoid this as it will be a 500 mile round trip.

On the subject of advertising, often magazines are working three or four months in advance, so it could be that the advert was placed back in June or July. One way you might be able to get some feedback is to contact the advertising department of the magazine and explain your plight... they may have alternative contact details and might be able to contact them on your behalf.

I do hope that you guys get a response soon, be that a refund of your deposit or your observatories. Failing that there is always BBC TV's Watchdog :) (not insinuating that there is anything underhand... but if you add up all the deposits they have been given there must be quite a substantial amount of money been given up front)

I came across another company that will take on observatory builds that you may want to look into, dont be put off by the site front page as the ability of these guys goes beyond building warm rooms and roll off observatories.

I have had dealing with Raymond and their are links to a project he has worked on within this site if you look in DIY Observatories.

Here is the link stairs northern ireland

Thanks Rols, that is really interesting because we live only 20 mls away from Dungannon. Are you saying they have made observatories - I could not find "DIY Observatories". Can you supply any more information, please ?

Ron

He may not be using his computer but won't he have a mobile? What businessman doesn't these days?. I think some of you guys have been more than patient and frankly, it looks like appalling customer service. This man has had a lot of money from what could be many customers and is not honouring his side of the implied contract.

Because he is an astronomer doesn't make him a saint. Sorry to sound so hard but it gets my goat when I see rubbish customer service. Someone somewhere will know what he's up to and whilst any negative or derogatory comment I make may get deleted, I want to make several such comments about this but won't - he needs taking to task. He's had your money!

Hi Ronb,

After reading your comment about Nick doing an observatory for the University of York I found the following link on their new "astrocampus" project. You will see a roll-off roof observatory included in the model pictured - it also has a warm room ....!

The project is scheduled for completion in 2011 but I have not found out if it is finished yet.

http://www.york.ac.uk/physics/news/departmentalnews/astrocampus/

So I wonder if this explains the long silences from Nick?? Has this project taken much longer than he expected? Is he still there?

Ron

Ron, don't know whether this helps but during July/August Nick told me he was doing an installation at York University. At one stage I did consider trying to contact the university to ask. Also, at another stage Nick did seem to offer quicker delivery and return later to erect. I wonder whether it's the erection side which is holding things up?

When I met with Nick in March he did mention that he shares a workshop with someone. This other person was planning to leave. This meant that Nick couldn't afford to rent the workshop on his own and would need to find somewhere else. He said that ultimately he would like to build his own workshop in his garden. I have no idea whether this has added to pressures on his workload.

It is however reassuring that Nick still advertises on S@N. He told me it costs him a lot of money each month to pay for the ad. I assume that if things had gone pear shaped the ad would no longer appear or at least disappear after a month or so.

Ron

Thanks Rols, that is really interesting because we live only 20 mls away from Dungannon. Are you saying they have made observatories - I could not find "DIY Observatories". Can you supply any more information, please ?

Ron

I can RonPatt -

This is the link in the DIY Observatory Section i can refer you to-

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/152588-ivans-roll-off-shed.html

Now i would have to point out this is not work done for me, my dealing with StairsNi is for supplies that StairsNi used during the build of ivans Observatory. i was trying to locate parts that do not seem to be available here in England. (i'm fussy)

this was not an advert this was merely an alternative heads up to those that don't have the patients to wait or ability to build their own Observatory. i thought it was a good place to point out that there is more than one company out there capable of providing a service.

Raymond was a very personable guy who went beyond the normal call to help me out.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your detective work on York Uni. I can understand Nick giving York priority - good publicity for him, but he has never excused himself for not working on my obs because of this job.

But working on one job for 3 months? Not being available on his mobile available for more than 3 weeks? Not responding to messages left on his landline answering machine? Shutting down the answering service on his mobile (he did have one earlier this year)?

I can think of several reasons for the loss of communication - probably switched off his mobile while trying to catch up on a busy workload (he has admitted to being a lot further behind than normal) and doesn't want interruptions or he may be ill or on holiday etc. However none of these really excuse him for not having some form of contact available at some point in the week. Surely he must rely on his mobile.

I am now getting even more determined to go down and try to find him.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all

Success - Nick is back and on the go again. I now have my observatory, just like the pictures earlier in this thread. Having spent a Sunday with Nick and his colleague Steve, I can echo what others have said. Nick knows his stuff and is thoroughly professional in building terms. They did a 13 hour day yesterday, leaving at 21:30 with a few small items to complete today. I am very pleased indeed with the observatory.

Nick asked me to pass the following message to all - he is back and trying to get everything dealt with. If you can, it is worth the wait having seen what he has delivered for me!

Good luck all.

Regards

Mark

• 1 month later...

At last! I have my observatory up and (weather permitting) running.

My comments basically echo all other reports I have read about Alexanders Observatories on forums and web pages.

Despite the quoted 10 to 12 week delivery my observatory arrived 4 days under 8 months from placing an order with AO. Nick told me that he is particularly unhappy with his work backlog this year and an enforced absence from work recently has not helped but he is doing his best to catch up. He admitted that, with hindsight, while unavailable he should have left suitable messages on his answerphone and web site. However he didn't and has suffered adverse publicity and probably lost orders as a consequence. He also commented that he prefers to work alone to ensure the quality of his product.

As for the observatory itself, it is built to a far better standard than all but the most expensive timber buildings I have seen. The floor and walls have 3 x 2 timber frames while the roof is based on 2 x 2's. All joints are well made and close fitting and are held together with two screws. If anything the roof construction could be said to be overkill. Nails are only used to fix the cladding and roofing felt. The various sections fitted together perfectly during erection as should be expected after building some 200 observatories.

Nick left home at 3.30 am, arrived an hour late and worked straight through without a break finishing at 6.30 pm. Having been associated with tradesmen throughout my working life I can safely say that he works hard, does a good job and I have full confidence in his work. And he is good company.

Fortunately he brought the wrong pedestal adaptor with him which gave me the opportunity to have a custom one made up for my CGEM mount (I wanted a little more clearance between the latitude adjustment knob and the top of the pedestal). This arrived from Nick within two weeks.

Bottom line I suppose is would I order from him again? The answer is yes. But! He is let down by his delivery time and communications (lost contact for a couple of weeks in July then again in October when he was out of circulation) but his work is excellent. As everyone else says, if he would just address these two issues...

Ron

sounds like he could do with expanding the business alittle and taking on some help, you can still keep control of quality

I too echo those comments. It sounds as if nick is at that stage of growth where he needs to employ additional staff, or sub-contract the delivery and erection of the orders.

• 1 month later...

I waited seven(?) months in total, but the product is indeed SPLENDID - A lifetime dream realised. :(

Been there many times myself tho'... "When will MY job be finished"? "Why doesn't HE answer the phone"? I'm sure it was covered in the various "training courses" and discussed in various "status" meetings - Putting me further behind schedule! LOL. But there are few answers to being a victim of your own success? :o

Nick is a guy I would happily recommend... "sponsor" (if I could) though...

The end hinges down to give a lower view to the south.

Hope Nick doesn't mind me giving away his "secrets"!

A strip of plastic DPC (damp proof course) is fixed to the roof. On closing the roof it is necessary to ensure that this strip lies outside the south wall. Easiest done by opening the flap, close the roof making sure that the two ends of the strip are outside then close the flap. Only takes a few seconds.

Two pieces of the same DPC are used on the other end of the roof over the roof rails. At Nick's suggestion I also cover the rails with guttering when the roof is closed. This reduces the chance of rainwater running along the channels. The guttering is held in place with bungees.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Trying to find out if anyone has had contact with Nick in the past six or seven weeks? I've been trying to contact him about my hopefully imminent observatory installation, particularly about the pier and sourcing the pier cap for my old type CGE, but so far without success. Any info muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Hello,

I am astroamateur from Poland. I have placed my order and 30% deposit with Alexander Observatories at the end of August.. Nick has promised installation at the end of October the latest. I have prepared the Observatory and pier base as per his instructions. Since 14th Oct I am trying to get in touch with Nick, but no reply to my emails, text messages or no answer to phonecalls.

Does anyone know if Nick is still in the bussines? His adverts on Sky and telescope are not there any more.

Do I have to wait 8 months for my observatory as the other customers without any contact from Nick?

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers and clear skies.

Milo

Archived