Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First chance at some proper long exposures - NA Nebula

I wasn't sure what to do tonight while waiting around for Jupiter so decided to see how far I could push the mount unguided with some long exposure wide field shots.

Pentax k10D / Asahi 50mm Prime @ f/4

After a few test shots I settled for an exposure time of 210 seconds at ISO 200. That seemed to give me something noise-free to work with and didn't produce any trailing in the image.

28 x 210s - Pentax "Auto-Dark" Noise Reduction ON.

A little over-processed but chuffed with this. :D

north_america_nebula_by_blackparticle-d3lo53u.jpg

Alan.

No camera mods, no filters and the lens spikes are real (which I like). :p

I've been using the DSLR with the scopes but I've found that -

a) Subs are usually limited to 40 seconds and under.

:) I've been wasting a lot of the image frame.

So I'm starting to come to the conclusion that DSLR's work best when you're getting the most out of the full frame sensor. With my unguided mount this appears to be in the sub-100mm fl lens range.

I'm going to carry on working on this one to see just how much the DSLR can capture. The full image is approx 5x larger and was still pin-sharp (albeit with some minor edge distortion) so it's in the realm of print-quality rather than just screen-quality. :D

No extra data but I went back and re-processed my RAW files and recorded some flats. I also tried a few re-stacking experiments where I'd build a series of images in PS of the finished stack, play around with the median / sharpen filters and colours and build a new stack of images to then produce a final result.

Still got to get some more subs to smooth out the edges and not quite decided on how much star reduction to apply.

Here's the larger widefield.

aa418ad7a5091cbdf1ce36c5c13a7b6d-d3nnw9o.jpg

After a couple more nights and a trip out on to Dartmoor I'm up to 94 subs all at 210 seconds. So approx 5 1/2 hrs. ISO still set at 200.

Dartmoor was quite special. So dark with the milky way streaking overhead almost from horizon to horizon. You could even see the NA nebula with the naked eye. I spent most of the night in the car lying back with the sunroof open while the camera was snapping away. I was even joined by a herd of wild ponies at one point. :)

The full frame image is going to require more processing but a quick downsized version with a lot of the stars removed so you can see the nebulosity.

deneb___50mm_by_blackparticle-d426v2u.jpg

Archived