Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900 LXmod yesyes style ;-)

yesyes

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just received my SPC900NC. And guess what, its a flashed 880. No problem for me as I didn't had anything at all. Also this is a RAW mode webcam, So I will need some pointer to this.

The moon is fairly low as I write this post so no chance of testing the setup on moon tonight, though saturn and Mars are good candidates. Will test the set up and let you all know how it went.

Harshal

Well, I've pulled one of my SPC900s apart and built the LX mod/amp off circuit. It's been a fair while since I attempted to put something together in such a small space and the first since I got my glasses, which improve my vision but take a bit of getting used to:

post-23533-133877768005_thumb.jpg

Need to wait for a few more bits and pieces to arrive now. The connection to Q3 on the camera is a bit scary though. I don't reckon my soldering iron tip will even fit in the gap. I might have to get something smaller. What would the panel recommend?

James

Get the smallest pointy tip you can get. The pins on the connector are also very small and require a steady hand and a small tip.

For soldering the wire to Q3 it helps to have some flux. I usually put quite a bit of flux on that pin on the transistor and then solder it. It prevents the solder from spreading and makes the solder point look better too.

Make sure you have thin enough wires, tin the ends first and cut the tinned bit very short before soldering.

Thanks Chris. I've just managed to find my 15W Antex iron that I think I've had since before my teens. No idea if it still works or if I can still get tips for it (it has a chisel tip at the moment which isn't ideal), but I shall see tomorrow morning.

James

Thanks Chris. I've just managed to find my 15W Antex iron that I think I've had since before my teens.

Just realised that may not mean much. Let's just say it must be well over 30 years old :)

James

I think my smallest soldering iron is an Antex - same style bits anyway. My tip is 1mm as I recall. I aslso have a "helping hands" and a high power magnifier lamp.

Given that it trips the RCD I think the element must be dead on mine. I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells spare elements for the C15 though. So far I've only found one that sells it for about £6, but has a minimum £30 order. Maplin give a part number for it, but don't actually have it on their website. Ho hum. Perhaps it's time for a replacement iron...

James

Thanks for the replies...

I had read something about thermal noise difference on the two types of resistors but I'm guessing it was because they were being discussed for amplifiers...

One more question with regard to the 11v Zener diode though. I'm planning on purchasing all my bits from bitsbox and the lowest power one they have is 500mW, will this be ok?

Bah. The usb<->serial converter I ordered is not based on the pl2303. The supplier have supplied such in the past, but they don't specifically say it will be pl2303 and the cable I have uses a CH341 UART, according to the drivers. It doesn't appear to have a level-shifter, but it may well properly support the RS232 control lines. I guess there's only one way to find out if it will work or not...

James

Archived