NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

web cam imaging

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would get smaller images of planets.

What exactly are you asking here? you obviously have some idea floating around.

Ahem, focal lengths get longer or shorter, not faster or slower.

Focal ratiosget faster or slower

Barry

Input your telescope/camera into this FOV calculator and you will see that at F5 Saturn is very small on the screen. If you add a 4x barlow Saturn becomes bigger. You will see some information just above the field of view screen, at F5 the imaging resolution for a 200 F5 with no barlow and a SPC900 the image resolution is 1.16 arcseconds per pixel and with a 4x barlow the resolution becomes 0.29 arcseconds per pixels. What this mean is that you will be able to record finer detail at F20 than at F5. For the moon, for instance, you would be able to images features about 0.5km across at F20 but only features about 2km across at F5.

Peter

er, 2 times

ask a proper question

That's rude, and not even a complete answer...

Using a 2x barlow as it comes out the packed will give double the magnification. But the image will be 4 times fainter, so this needs to be adjusted for during the image capture.

But if you increase the distance between the barlow and the webcam, you increase the effect - I have no idea how to work this out but I suspect it varies from model to model.

I regually remove the lens part from my 2" 2x barlow and screw it into the 2" camera adapter - this gives me roughly a 1.5x effect

Cheers

ant

I think when you are starting out in a hobby with as steep a learning curve as this one, it's quite hard just to think what the questions are, let alone phrase them correctly (whatever that means).

Amen to that.

I don't even understand what it is I want to ask, never mind the answer.

Just made the plunge and bought a spc900 1st sensor upgrade and exposure control. Can really recommend talking to Andy at astonomiser, very personable bloke who made time to discuss options with me.

I suspect that will keep me busy and pleased for a while to come.

Hope to have gained experience and a modicom of knowledge by the time the dark nights come round.

Staying up late to see if the sky clears (like it is forecast to) for jupiter rising - about 25 degrees above horizon at 04:00 so may get 30 mins or so before rhe pre-dawn glow.

:(im just trying to learn this is the only thing i can say i enjoy and theres not many people that live by me that i can talk to about stuff like this so i turn to here for help

hi melibum and welcome from me ,i use a sw12" reflector and had some good video of jupiter well i think so (others may disagree i have a dob base and have to nudge) heres the link

if you try sharpcap to capture your video it as a zoom function just as a thoughtthe night i took this video seeing was rubbish and the moon was so close to jupiter they could have kissed am sure soon you will get the video and gadgets sorted out i some times use a barlow as well for the moon x2and x3 focus can some times be a prob ,but the crayford makes light work but x3 push the mag very high works if seeing is good i did not use a barlow in the vid just the zoom on sharpcap happy hunting and can not wait to see ya results

clear skies always

pat

thats good pat im hoping because i have the heq 5 pro i can use the sidreal???? for tracking im not sure i thinks its going to be trail and error but hopefully soon i will produce a picture lol

you should have no probs there at all i can not keep it on the screen long enough for a stack but as ya can see the moons are visible from my tin pot setup lol the 90mm frac is on a goto mount with dec and ra so it satys in the ep for well over a 40 mins but every time a take the frac out the clouds come out am sure meade scopes have voodoo built in to them look forward to ya vids and pics get them on youtube if you have a channel if not make one it saves clogg in the harddrive up with massive files

pat

there`s lots of good advice here also,

if you are new to webcam imaging then the Moon is a good first target, capture it when it`s about a quarter full then you will capture lots of detail and shadows of craters, i use wx astrocapture to get the avi images which is a free software program and registax to process it which is also free, then have a go with a barlow which will decrease the field of view but zoom in closer to the detail.

lots of trial and error but it`s quick to do so you can take lots of different images, process them and if rubbish try again.

good look and all the best

I understand, I like this and the other forums I belong to. its just that sometimes its best not to answer a question if its going to make someone resent asking a future question for the like of feeling silly or stupid..

To be fair, SGL is generally excellent at helping newcomers to the hobby - "no question is a silly one" is almost our motto here :D

I agree :D

I understand, I like this and the other forums I belong to. its just that sometimes its best not to answer a question if its going to make someone resent asking a future question for the like of feeling silly or stupid..

why come on banter is banter relax baz ya no ya self how easily it is to be offend ,as you feel you need to goto cloudy nights now because you feel offended

i find sgl to be the best place to be its guided me all the way and never no duff advice and thanks to sgl i have made great freinds all over the world from ozzie land to germany ect my skype as never been so busy

the help and advice is top draw

Archived