Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm going to China

Ant

Just found out that I've got to go to Hong Kong and South China. Around 22 degrees north I think.

What am I going to be able to see? LMC would be great!

Not going to get to take camera with me. but would be nice to see it? Shame it's the wrong time of the year for the milky way - although from what I've heard I'll be working till the small hours, so might get a chance... :)

Ant

Ant, youll love Hong Kong, Ive been there 4 times and visited southern China on two occassions. Best place to go at night is an area on the new territories called tai lam, it is a resevouir with a prison below it. The area itself is a mountain high ground and the views from the top are superb. As is the victoria peak if they open it during night hours. Also make sure you visit the Giant Buddah on Lantau island, from there you can see superb skys. As for China, well,is a culture shock to say the least, get out into the real China and not just the "tourist made areas".

Also, the planetarium and Hong Kong space museum are excellent based in Kowloon a star ferry boat trip from Hong Kong island.

What am I going to be able to see? LMC would be great!

I just set Victoria as a location in Starry Night and unless I've got it wrong it doesn't look too different from the UK. :D:) Ursa Major is low down to the South rather than overhead but most of the objects are visible from the UK as some time or another throughout the year. May be I've got the settings wrong though...... :)

I'd expect that you could pick up a camera in China for not a lot of dosh, certainly much cheaper than you could here. Might be a way of getting a 'scope to play with too.

Captain Chaos

They make scopes in China? :shock: :)

I just set Victoria as a location in Starry Night and unless I've got it wrong it doesn't look too different from the UK. :) :) Ursa Major is low down to the South rather than overhead but most of the objects are visible from the UK as some time or another throughout the year. May be I've got the settings wrong though...... :)

Victoria? Wheres that then??

From what I can see, where I'm going is 22 degrees north. So the Plough will be just above the north horizon. But it's south I'm interested in. LMC SMC - I should be able to see everything down to around -70 degrees. I'll have a look at SN when I get home.

I have no money whatsoever. I couldn't afford to buy a meal out - let alone any astro related stuff.

Ant, youll love Hong Kong, Ive been there 4 times and visited southern China on two occassions. Best place to go at night is an area on the new territories called tai lam, it is a resevouir with a prison below it. The area itself is a mountain high ground and the views from the top are superb. As is the victoria peak if they open it during night hours. Also make sure you visit the Giant Buddah on Lantau island, from there you can see superb skys. As for China, well,is a culture shock to say the least, get out into the real China and not just the "tourist made areas".

Also, the planetarium and Hong Kong space museum are excellent based in Kowloon a star ferry boat trip from Hong Kong island.

Just found out that I may be flying into Shanghai and not HK after all, so mybe I won't get to go to HK. I'm visiting ceramic factories so I guess I'll see things as real life as they get. Not going to get any sight seeing done - but just hoping to get to look out the hotel after dark once or twice.

tai lam sounds good, but NIGHT + CHINA + PRISON isn't three words that I really wanted in one sentence. :D

Ant

Isn't Victoria the capital of HK?

Haven't got a clue mate. Maybe! :)

Checked again Ant. UM is to the North..oops!! No LMC or SMC though..... :)

Jesus, how far south is the LMC - blimey!

Your a lucky man Ant 8)

Thats a matter of opinion. It's a QC meeting with my biggest customer who wants to visit the factory. I'm also having to share with my boss....

:D

Ant

You need to be south of ~15ºlatitude to see LMC/SMC well. LMC from Hong Kong will barely rise above the horizon, but will most likely be lost in the sky glow/atmospheric extinction. IF you can see it, it should be visible due south just after twilight ends ~7:45pm local time.

I'm going to be the important customer - so should be treated well.

I'm looking forward to it - just not being away from jane and Jamie for 5 days.

LMC never rises above the horizon from Hong Kong according to starry night, 2 degrees below horizon!

BUMMER!!!

Ant

Hi Ant

Rita is going to HK in May, I can't travel this time due to the'Ze Dicky Ticker' but I will next year,meanwhile I intend making a list of goodies to buy,--EBay wthout the postage!-- you MUST make time to do some shopping, the chance may not come too often,have a great trip.

Cheers Frank

From what I've heard about business trips here (for my side of the businnes) there is no time whatsoever. The bloke I work with went out last year and had 1 hour of spare time in 5 days.

But it should be fun, just going to try and take loads of pic's so that I can show people that I have actually been there.

Going to try and find room for the 300D but the wife small digicam may have to do.

Ant

From what I've heard about business trips here (for my side of the businnes) there is no time whatsoever. The bloke I work with went out last year and had 1 hour of spare time in 5 days.

Ant

That's what I tell 'em when I get home too. Messed up with the pyramids though as I came back with 'photos after being "rushed off my feet the whole time". Enjoy it, it will definitely be "different" and you may never get to go there again.

Captain Chaos

Archived