NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BAA subscription

Mr Spock

I've just received my annual BAA subscription renewal. For the first time I'm considering not renewing.

Thinking about it, I don't take part in the observing sections anymore as these days my observing is just for pleasure rather than of scientific usefulness. The journal is an interesting read, but nothing you can't find on the internet.

To be honest, I'm thinking I'd get more pleasure out of spending the cash on something else.

What do you think?

Unfortunately, that's the same as I feel.

I'm not really sure the BAA is aimed at the "hobbyest" astronomer.

I was a member for about 3 years in my teens and went to a very interesting meeting, but soon gave it up as I found most of the information in the Journal was far too out of date and I just couldn't get to their meetings at those times.

It still feels a bit like a "gentleman's" club, meeting when most of us are at work.

OK if you're retired, I suppose.

As you said Mr Spock. If you want up to date information, we've got the Internet these days.

Dave

I'm not sure I want to get into a discussion about the pros and cons of the BAA, but I think one of the strengths of the Journal is that it does step back from the immediate results. So, for example in the last Journal, you can read and compare observations by different observers taken over a whole apparition of Mars, which you would find difficult to find anywhere else (imo).

Callum

Perhaps there is room for a "lighter" publication from the BAA that is aimed at the hobbyist?

Yes, this may overlap the current magazines, but it might mean that memberships holds because there is something relevant for them?

(I also find the renewal date falls just at the wrong time!! :) )

I joined last year for the first time and got a reduced rate. I must say that Hazel in the office was very friendly and helpful.

I too have had my renewal and I don't think I will renew either, which is sad. I have a pile of journals which lie unread as they are (to me) too stuffy, academic and don't talk in laymans terms about great observing nights such as we can read here. It is very definitely slanted to academics.

It's a real shame, but money is tight at the moment and I can't see myself renewing..

Dave

Ive nearly not renewed for the last couple of years. the Handbook is useful, but the journals... as folk have commented. What do look forward to recieving monthly is my TA (the Astronomer) magazine. Always up to date, email alerts, etc.... and funny enough run by a number of senior folk from the BAA. If the BAA was run anythng like TA is, it would be much more valued by folk.

Perhaps there is room for a "lighter" publication from the BAA that is aimed at the hobbyist?

Yes, this may overlap the current magazines, but it might mean that memberships holds because there is something relevant for them?

(I also find the renewal date falls just at the wrong time!! :) )

Not the first time such an idea has been raised - there used to be a lighter newsletter some years back, but did not keep going.

I think some more 'lighter' elements in the Journal would be a good idea... Maybe one day...

Callum

Ive nearly not renewed for the last couple of years. the Handbook is useful, but the journals... as folk have commented. What do look forward to recieving monthly is my TA (the Astronomer) magazine. Always up to date, email alerts, etc.... and funny enough run by a number of senior folk from the BAA. If the BAA was run anythng like TA is, it would be much more valued by folk.

Yes, well the TA was formed because the BAA could not/would not do it...

Callum

I've been a member on and off since I was 16 (now 53). But I'm not a serious astronomer anymore and don't contribute to any of the sections.

Kinda ironic really. I have the equipment now I always imagined was beyond my reach and yet I move from serious to casual observing.

I suppose that's what hobbies are all about really, enjoyment, and I do get that now.

I was actually thinking, after a gap of 30 years, of rejoining the RSPB. I wouldn't mind visiting some of the reserves again and bird watching is so relaxing.

Archived