Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 The Dumbbell Nebula (Newbie)

Petrol

First of all, I would like to thank steppenwolf for the tremendous amount of technical support he has given me. Steve, without your help, I would be ripping my hair out. You’re a credit to this forum and an inspiration to amateur astronomers :)

This is my first DSO image I think is worthy of posting. All comments including ideas to improve / enhance are more than welcome

SW 200P @ prime focus

EQ6 Guided with WO Zenithstar & Philips Webcam via PHD

Modded Canon 300d

Hutec IDAS LPF

26 lights @ 150s

7 Darks

No flats or bias

Stacked in Nebulosity2

Dumbell.jpg

Thanks for looking

That's very nice indeed, Pete, some lovely colours and plenty of detail. Interesting to see the 'Goldilocks Star' (the really faint star in the right hand of the two 'chevrons' bottom centre of the nebula) either just leaving the building or re-emerging.

You must be pleased with that shot!

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to work from the ground up, literally! Having read “Making every photon count” I went for an EQ6 then spent quite a bit of time on guiding, sometimes just mounting the guidescope to test things out.

Autoguiding_setup_01.jpg

I thought the first thing you have to do is point the scope in the right direction! This is a graph from one of my guiding trials

guidinggraph.jpg

As already mentioned, I have been very fortunate with the technical assistance I have had from Steve. I know I have a very long way to go and have loads to learn, but that’s the fun of astro imaging!

Regards and clear skies!

Pete

Archived