NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Manchester astronomers

Asur84

Just wondering where all the astronomers from Manchester go for their observing goodness, so far II have been to the Astronomy centre in Todmorden but can only go up there once every now and again and would like to get out there with my own scope but all I get are the bright city lights and I'm actually surprised I can see the moon let alone stars/planets.

Jonathon.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jonathon, there is an Astronomy Club at Heaton Park as well, a few of the members bring there own kit, however it's only open from when the clocks go back though winter until the clocks go forward again, the Astronomy centre would be a great starting place from what i have heard, i must confess i have not been up there myself yet, but plan on doing so when i get the time.

Simon

There's a lot of cloud here in Bury at the moment, I'll review around 8.30pm, If its reasonably clear I'll be on my way to Todmorden! If not, i'll be up the next Saturday on a clear night for sure. Cant wait!

• 1 month later...

I only live a few miles away and very tempted to come up but a little intimidated as a real newbie! :)

This might be a stupid question but what time does the Centre close? And would anyone have the patience to explain to me the mysteries of my Tal mount if I brought it with me? I've been able to view Saturn & Jupiter so far but haven't tempted to try & find any DSO's yet.

:smiley:

I drove past the Todmorden turnoff yesterday on my way back from Haworth to Stockport.

Must make the effort to visit you sometime! Probably an hour from home. Does Manchester to the south (approx) affect things massively or are you distant enough to reduce the LP?

Archived