Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full moon image Skymax127 mak

bigal1

Hi all well i've not posted for a while now due to 1 a broken mount which is now fixed and 2 the awful conditions we have been having here in the Uk so it was nice to get out and at least get a pic or two . Seeing conditions were average and with the moon being quite low at the moment i only had a short time to image from my location , equipment used was a Skywatcher Skymax 127 mak scope and a Canon 1000d at prime focus .

Image reduced in size

Regards Alan

Moon17-06-2011resize.jpg

Sounds like you were out at the same time as me with the same setup. I reckon you got the better result though. It's only my second telescopic session with a 1000D so this provides a useful comparison for me. What aperture did you set the camera to?

Sounds like you were out at the same time as me with the same setup. I reckon you got the better result though. It's only my second telescopic session with a 1000D so this provides a useful comparison for me. What aperture did you set the camera to?

I set the camera to P mode and auto iso then move the zoom / exposure box to the brightest section of the moon then shoot away , keeps things simple :) . I also did some slight post processing using photoshop to adjust the brightness / color and some unsharp mask to get a crisper looking image , normally i don't have to use a lot of unsharp mask but because the conditions were far from perfect i had to crank it up a bit more than usual to sharpen up the image hope this helps some .

• 9 months later...

Judging by his signature, a motorised CG4.

Nice image, Alan. I've been thinking that I should have a play with my 450D on the Mak for lunar and solar shots. Do you put the camera on the diagonal, or just use an extension straight out of the back of the OTA?

James

James

I've successfully used a DSLR with the ED80 camera adapter straight out of the back of the OTA. I do have a Steeltrack focuser in the train too, so you might need to investigate extension tubes?

Hope that helps.

I can do that, no problem. I guess it helps that the Mak has huge amounts of focus travel :)

I'm going to have to have a bit of a play with lunar and white light solar photography now. It'll make a change from cursing the moon, I guess.

James

What a fantastic photo of the moon,I've been looking into buying a Skymax 127 & now seeing results I think I will go for one.

Rog.

-----------------

Skywatcher 150PL

EQ3-2 Mount

Philips SPC900

Archived