Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which DSLR

mark993

Probably best to stick to a Canon DSLR, there is lots of software support for it and generally the signal to noise ratio is better than most other brands. If you find astro-photography is your thing then taking it to the next level is easiest with Canon (ie automating capture using Nebulosity etc.)

I would say the Canon 5D Mark II or the Nikon D3S are both excellent! :)

...and about as far away from a "starter" dSLR as you could probably get, at £1800 for the 5D mkII (body only), and £3500 for the D3S (body only).

1000D or 1100D (as 1000D is no longer in production) will get you going - you can buy with a single or two lens "kit" which is a cheap way to get started if you so wish (the lenses are "adequate" and will get you on your way for "ordinary" photography as well).

I'll second BiziBuilder's response.

I have the 1000D with 18-55mm IS lens and a 75-300mm III Good enough for my mediore photographic ability and I've had some reasonable Astrophotography results too.

The new 1100D has a 12MP sensor as opposed to the 10MP one of the 1000D and also has the faster DIGIC IV processor.

I picked up a 1000d with the 18-55mm lens from London Camera Exchange last week for £200..

I'm still waiting for a chance to try it on the scope but it has taken some good daytime shots and its cheap enough to not leave me under pressure to get fantastic results.. I have lots to learn about imaging and it's plenty good enough to get me started from what I have read and seen on here....:)

Good luck with your choice..:)

Hi - For general everyday imaging I would have no hesitation in buying Nikon kit - For astro its got to be Canon. If you go the Nikon route and need to get your images to a laptop the Nikon capture software is V expensive - Canon supply their capture software free as part of the package.

I've just retired from Pro technical photography after 35 years and during that time have used both Nikon and Canon kits but Nikon to me have the edge. Now I'm getting into astro imaging with DSLR's I like Canon and have a (self) modified 450D and a standard 500D. Noise in long exposures can be handled by the camera noise reduction software or with the use of flats, darks, bias, flat dark +++ frames. As someone else has mentioned Canon have better support in the astro world. If buying secondhand make sure you can see the camera, that it works and has all the chargers and software. Good luck and clear skies.

Archived