NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best EP placement on mount

hi,

a quick question: when putting a reflector on an EQ mount, what's the best angle to point the eyepiece tube? or do you rotate the whole telescope to suit whichever object you're looking at?

yeah, probably a stupid question, but i can't come up with a simple answer... :)

thx, regards,

simon

to me this is one of the main reasons I love dobs and alt-az mounts generally.

you set the eyepiece position and then it stays there = no contortionism!

Unless the dob tube is taller than the observer (step ladder time) :)

yeah fair point! terra firma for me every time ;)

I just get away with tip toes at the zenith - it's just when someone shorter than me comes to tale a look and they can't :)

A friends 24" dob is a bit scary to use at the zenith though. :)

I too find this a pain but I just rotate the OTA in the rings until its in a better position taking care not to use too mush pressure and put the GOTO all out of position.

If a shorty like my mum or sister come to have a look then I usually run and fetch a little stool or yellow pages :) for them to stand on.

Try rotating the OTA so the focuser is in line with the dovetail bar when the mount is in its home position. It looks odd when its first mounted, but you will find yourself having to rotate the OTA a lot less once you start slewing around. The focuser might be upside-down sometimes, but I dont think that would spoil anything.

thanks for all the tips, everyone.

Try rotating the OTA so the focuser is in line with the dovetail bar when the mount is in its home position. It looks odd when its first mounted, but you will find yourself having to rotate the OTA a lot less once you start slewing around. The focuser might be upside-down sometimes, but I dont think that would spoil anything.

what's the home position of an EQ mount? and what's an OTA?

sorry for being dense... :)

Indeed, alt az sct is the best combo for viewing position

well, i just got this scope for my birthday, so i'm not getting a new one anytime soon... ;) (but i tried a meade LX400 a few months back at the astronomy institute at the uni. bit out of my price range though... :)).

thanks,

simon

Archived